jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are man's greatest temptations? Are they blatant or deceptive?

1. emichael profile image79
    emichaelposted 6 years ago

What are man's greatest temptations? Are they blatant or deceptive?

I am working on a short story and wanted to get your feedback on the topic of temptation. The story is allegorical, moral, and sort of in the style of a Grimm or an Andersen tale.

Steering clear of anything too personal or revealing, what do you think are man's greatest temptations?

I use "temptation" here to mean anything that compels us to behave in a way that is contrary to either how we believe we "aught" to behave or, if you want to dig a little deeper, how society has made us believe we "aught" to behave.

2. epigramman profile image68
    epigrammanposted 6 years ago

...now that is a great question and typical of any great writer (which is you) you are taking the time to do some research like I often do at work when there is a large group of people to choose from - lol lol - and I survey people for their opinions and answers because let's face it - who are we writing for - or writing to - people !!!!!
    Temptations come in all shapes and sizes - lol - deceptive in the way that it could innate or just a human reflex - like human nature itself, and blatant, because there are new temptations all of the time to deal with - and man is a very addictive animal so again he/she has to make some choices whether or not to succumb to these temptations or not - some times we look for the answers in life and some times those answers find us - congratulations on your placing in the contest by the way - you are a terrific writer - drop by and see me and keep in touch. lake erie time 1:12pm   good luck with your new piece.

3. Robert Erich profile image89
    Robert Erichposted 6 years ago

The GREATEST temptation is forgetting the needs of others to focus on myself. Really, all "temptations" are a result of me focusing on the needs of myself above the needs of others - regardless of who's needs are greater.

4. stariswhoiam profile image61
    stariswhoiamposted 6 years ago

One of the greatest temptations for me would be my achilles heels (character downfalls). I have to fight against my achilles heels in order to live self-sufficiently. These achilles heels of mine could be blatant in the sense of them being what they are or deceptive in the sense that it could really fool me into a path of lies, destruction....
    I can either be my worst enemy or my own hero.

5. rLcasaLme profile image74
    rLcasaLmeposted 6 years ago

from the very beginning, it was believed that sexual pleasure is man's greatest temptation. it was even mentioned in the bible that when adam and eve ate that forbidden fruit, their sex drive had a sudden explosion that they tend to cover themselves up to somehow slack off and wither abling them to resist the temptation.
    Primitive men always tries to impress women because of this particular temptation.