Is it worth becoming a self-publishing author?

1. JosieLee profile image76
    JosieLeeposted 6 years ago

Is it worth becoming a self-publishing author?

2. teikounosenshi profile image61
    teikounosenshiposted 6 years ago

I've been self-published for five years and haven't earned a dime, but I have heard success stories of self-published authors. A friend of mine self-published his comic books on my suggestion and from what he told me, they became pretty successful.

Realistically, it all depends on how much work you're willing to put into marketing and such.

I finally got tired of attempting to do all the legwork by myself and simply use the self-published books for copyright protection. If someone buys it, fine, but I don't do much with them anymore. Instead, I almost accidentally got into publisher hunting last year. I wrote about it in several hubs and included one recently explaining a specific clause to look for in publisher contracts.

I'm not saying a publisher is better than self-publishing, but in defense of both, there's a lot of work to be had. Some publishers still make you do all the marketing and such yourself.

So the real question would be, how hard are you willing to work for success?

3. Hello, hello, profile image57
    Hello, hello,posted 6 years ago

It is a million dollar question. It depends on the contents of the book. If the readers just happen to like it, it is worth it. I read about authors being rejected by almost any publisher. He self-published and was a success. The same publisher who rejected him asked to publish his book and offered him a contract. This is not so seldom as you may think.