I just read Twelfth Night. Do you think Malvolio deserved his punishment?

1. Storytellersrus profile image80
    Storytellersrusposted 6 years ago

I just read Twelfth Night.  Do you think Malvolio deserved his punishment?

If so, why?  If not, why not?  Does your opinion about this affect whether you believe this is a comedy or a tragedy?  If a comedy, do you believe this is Shakespeare's perfect comedy?  Why or why not?!!

2. blake4d profile image58
    blake4dposted 6 years ago

Well I happen to know ole Willie personally and we have discussed this for a minute. FIrst the Twelfth Night is neither comedy or tragedy, but is more technically a drama with overtones of both the others. Drama? Yes I said it. I believe that Shakespeare was trying to write something that did not exist in his time, an expositional take on religion, caste, or what we today would probably view as a situational comedy or a short narrative drama. The Twelfth Night is Shakespeare's version of a topical television show, for its day. Malvolio represents the royal class, the religious elite and is also the jester of the play. He is a fool character, perhaps like George in Seinfeld. Thats all I have to say.

3. Cardia profile image94
    Cardiaposted 6 years ago

I'm currently studying this in Literature class!

Well, Malvolio was pretty stuck up and conceited, so I can understand the other characters wanting to teach him a lesson. Especially in the scene when he finds the letter and reads it, and starts saying how he would benefit from marrying Olivia - he takes himself WAY too seriously.

However, I didn't like that Maria played with his feelings; that is, she tricked him into thinking someone was in love with him when they were not. I suppose that was the only way the trick could be successful though. Personally, I would feel awful if someone played such a trick on me, and my confidence would take a serious hit. But, I am sometimes oversensitive, haha.

The trick did give the play the comedic feel though - especially when Malvolio wore yellow stockings and would grin like an idiot around Olivia!

working