jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Think back to your very early reading, do you remember Dick, Jane and Sally?

1. rutley profile image77
    rutleyposted 6 years ago

Think back to your very early reading, do you remember Dick, Jane and Sally?

They had a dog named Spot. See Spot run. Run, run, run!
    You probably have to be over 40 to remember this series of 1st grade reading.

2. Pamela N Red profile image87
    Pamela N Redposted 6 years ago

And Puff the cat. Yes, I remember them well.

3. time2rite profile image59
    time2riteposted 6 years ago

Yes I do remember!  The book was "Fun with Dick and Jane."  "See Spot.  See Spot run.  Run, Spot, run!"  Wow, what memories...this is the very first book I learned to read from.  My mom had received a box of antique books and this book was among them.  I would practice reading while she did laundry.  I was reading long before I ever went to school; I've always loved words.  Thank you for the trip down memory lane!

4. profile image0
    Teri Heltonposted 6 years ago

Yes! These were the first readers when I started school. I already knew how to read when I was in kindergarten and got in trouble with the teacher because of it. She caught me reading a 'Dick and Jan' book to the other kids. But I loved these books. I saw one in a antique shop for fifty dollars! Thanks for the memory!

5. DexisView profile image76
    DexisViewposted 6 years ago

Absolutely....and their dog Spot.  I agree that you have to be over 40.  My grandmother was a 2nd grade teacher and I still have some of the old primers with Dick and Jane.  It was when phonics was taught in school.

6. bloggernotjogger profile image61
    bloggernotjoggerposted 6 years ago

I remember it very well.

My first book was called Surprises (I think the full name was Funny Surprises). It was bright yellow and had a hard cover. I then progressed to Mr. Whiskers and then Toy Box. All 3 books were in the first grade.
    In grade 2, I read Magic and Make Believe. Treats and Treasures was the book in Grade 3.
    Grades 4 to 6 had books called the Young Canada Readers series,
    All these books were published by Thomas Nelson and some of them were written by John A. McInnes. Sadly, they are now out of print.
    I would love to get hold of these books so that I may read them to my son. I saw a couple of them on Ebay, but the prices were very steep.
    I give these books a lot of credit in helping me learn to read. I was 6 years old when I read my first word in English. By the age of 9 had already read White Fang and The Call of the Wild by Jack London.

7. MarleneB profile image96
    MarleneBposted 6 years ago

Wow! This question brought back some wonderful memories of my childhood. I remember the feeling I felt when I was able to read "Fun with Dick and Jane" all the way through without any help. I was so proud of myself. I remember walking around the house, stopping family members so they could hear me read that book.

8. capricornrising profile image59
    capricornrisingposted 6 years ago

Wow! I do remember these books. I read them when I first started school in the Philippines (yes - they were available there, at the university elementary school on the campus where my parents were teaching).

working