jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

How to become a good writer? Do I need to read a lot first before becoming one?

1. tenet profile image58
    tenetposted 6 years ago

How to become a good writer? Do I need to read a lot first before becoming one?

2. Tamilarasan123 profile image36
    Tamilarasan123posted 6 years ago

Ya i am rating 74 but still i am not a good blog writer because some grammer mistakes can occur anywhere on your blog so please be careful and learn & read a lot first before becoming a good writer

3. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

I believe that the more you read...the more quality stuff you read... you will become a better writer.  I have taken very few writing classes, most of what I learned about writing has been from reading good writers.

4. tinigenie profile image61
    tinigenieposted 6 years ago

Tenet it is a learning process.  As a writer you wear many different hats, but you have to find your inner voice.  You are a constant student, but once you find passion in a certain area, you will be unstoppable.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think being an avid reader does make a better writer.  As you read, you are not only taking in the information or entertainment of the book, but you are learning writing style; what you like, what makes you want to move on in the story.

You can also learn how not to write, what about a certain book bores you, or makes you want to put it down.  It is all a learning process.

You cannot be hurt by reading anything and everything you can get your hands on.  Everything in life that has a word on it was written by someone - so all reading is like studying a textbook on the subject of writing.  It opens ups new worlds as well as increasing your ability to write.

6. lovetosharethis profile image57
    lovetosharethisposted 6 years ago

Own the "Becoming a Writer" book, it will show you how to become a great wirtier as quick as you completed reading this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0874771641/?tag=lotoshth-20

7. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

That is how I learned. By reading old texts, or just good books required by high schools even though I didn't go to high school.

8. J Burgraff profile image74
    J Burgraffposted 6 years ago

Read, read, read and read more.  I am convinced that the only way to become a good writer is to read everything you can get your hands on.  Stephen King thinks so too....

9. luv-iggy profile image40
    luv-iggyposted 6 years ago

I highly suggest reading some good books, if not for improving your writing then even to further educate yourself. But i don't think reading a lot is one of the requirements eve if it does help.

10. leni sands profile image75
    leni sandsposted 6 years ago

To become a good writer you DO need to read a lot, you also need to write a little something every day.  It doesn't matter what you write - just write, review the books you are reading. 

Keeping a diary is a good way to improve your writing.  Read it, write it, embellish....

Keep a notepad with you at all times so that you can jot down all those ideas so you don't forget them - your jottings may come in useful tomorrow or in years to come.  Reading the genre that you intend to write in also helps.

11. tenet profile image58
    tenetposted 6 years ago

Thank you so much for all your comments. I really appreciate it. They are very helpful.

working