Are good writers always good readers?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (28 posts)
  1. truthfornow profile image71
    truthfornowposted 12 years ago

Are good writers always good readers?

Every writer I have known has been a pretty avid reader.  Do you think that being a reader is necessary to being a good writer?

2. HattieMattieMae profile image59
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

Ha Ha well, I don't read much of poetry, or novels, but I pull it off very well. Some of the most famous writers suggest it, but of course I will take their advice. Just haven't until now.

3. WindMaestro profile image59
    WindMaestroposted 12 years ago

I do think that those that are good readers are good writers, but I think that there are those who do not read thoroughly and yet they can channel themselves and their emotions through written word. Much in the same sense that most musicians are good because they actively listen to lots of music, but there are some exceptions to the rule that are just naturally good, yet do now listen to music. So maybe that is your answer. Some people can become good writers by example and learning, whilst others are naturally good when they pick up a pen.

4. gregas profile image83
    gregasposted 12 years ago

Personally, I have never been much for reading. I have read a few books in my lifetime.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I don't necessarily think being a reader is required to be a good writer (although I do think it can help people see a lot of the techniques and approaches that are used).  I think, though, the way it really "works" is that people who are strong in verbal abilities and language tend to both read and write well.  People who aren't as strong in verbal abilities may certainly be able to read well (frequently aren't the greatest spellers, though), but often struggle more to write.

6. aylee95 profile image61
    aylee95posted 12 years ago

I think that being a good reader has something to do with being a good writer. Yet at the same time I believe that the two have nothing in common. It's more of a neutral person-to-person thing I believe.

A person may be a good writer yet have no patience to go through even 5 chapters of a novel. Another person may be able to finish a 2000 page book in one day (given they have enough time) yet might not be able to write even one page. Then, of course, there are people that can do both superbly.

7. nifwlseirff profile image92
    nifwlseirffposted 12 years ago

Writers often read a lot, sometimes in detail, but often skim-reading. I'm not sure I would class speed reading or skimming as reading well, so I'm hesitant to say that all writers are good readers. Writing well may also stem from having good verbal communication skills (not from reading).

Reading widely and in large quantities will improve writing skills (grammar and style). But not all avid readers can communicate well (verbally and/or in writing).

I think improving as a writer has a lot to do with actively working on writing skills - this does include reading widely and paying attention to how the piece you are reading is written, then taking the information learnt and applying it to your own writing.

8. NatalieSack profile image60
    NatalieSackposted 12 years ago

I think being an avid reader is a natural adjunct of being a writer.  If you love words you will gravitate towards writing and reading them.  The same way that if you love chocolate you will gravitate towards brownies and Ho-Hos for dessert instead of vanilla pudding.

9. Melchius profile image59
    Melchiusposted 12 years ago

I think you can write without being a reader but if you want to be a good writer you've got to read widely.  Just like in any other sphere you learn from your betters.  Reading work by good writers rubs off.  Without that I can't see how you can progress.

10. Deborah Brooks profile image61
    Deborah Brooksposted 12 years ago

I believe you have to like to read.. in order to want to write.  I find if I havent read in a while my writing stinks..

11. bell du jour profile image60
    bell du jourposted 12 years ago

I don't think anyone can write unless they read a lot.  We learn so much about writing from reading.

12. Marturion profile image61
    Marturionposted 12 years ago

Absolutely!  First rule of writing:  Write what you know.  Second Rule: You don't know enough.  Good writing comes from research.  research means READING. 
    Plus... Let's face it, writers do need to compare with other writers if they want to improve their craft.  And, it's not just about comparing style and technique, it's about becoming absorbed in the written word. If you aren't passionate about literature, then how can you be a passionate writer?

13. Freeway Flyer profile image83
    Freeway Flyerposted 12 years ago

There is definitely a connection between becoming a good writer and reading good writing. The struggle for me, however, as I try to become a better writer is that the time invested in writing cuts into potential reading time. I still don't know how to find the right balance.

14. Levertis Steele profile image76
    Levertis Steeleposted 12 years ago

The more one experienes language and its many words and arrangement varieties, the more equipped one is for writing. So, reading is probably the most important prerequisite for writing. I cannot imagine a great writer who is not hooked on reading.

15. jirel profile image75
    jirelposted 12 years ago

I guess a writer is also a good reader.A writer knows how to write, focus on important matters ,emphasize them and create life in them.Even when they are reading they try to read between the lines .They are very detailed because they themselves are writers who are reading something written by other writers.

16. leenamartha profile image40
    leenamarthaposted 12 years ago

Definitely! First rule of writing: Write what you know. Second Rule: You don't know enough. Good writing comes from research. research means READING.

17. tenet profile image61
    tenetposted 12 years ago

There might be a connection between the two. Usually, people who love to read are the people who can write well. Just like those people who are good listener can talk well.

18. profile image56
    eburnhamposted 12 years ago

I don't think you need to be.  My daughter is an excellent writer and she rarely does any reading.

19. Bravo Lelouch profile image59
    Bravo Lelouchposted 12 years ago

not necessarily...it depends upon people to people. A good writer must also be a good reader but that's not the case in most of the writers.

20. profile image0
    susanm23bposted 12 years ago

Yes, I definitely think it's necessary to be a reader to become a writer.  I think those who have an affinity toward writing absorb writing techniques through their reading--techniques such as creating pictures with words, evoking emotion with words, etc.  Those techniques don't necessarily have to be taught--writers learn from other writers.

21. profile image0
    onlookerposted 12 years ago

Well in most ways yes, good readers make good writers because you have to be well read to explain a lot of things, material wise. On the other hand, some people may have a knack for thinking out of the box, being super creative like they were born with it. Everything not necessarily has to do with reading. To make things clearer how about the young artistic poets and the singer/song writers? you getting me?

22. Pandapocalypse profile image70
    Pandapocalypseposted 12 years ago

I used to think so but being in the classroom has changed my mind.  I have seen so many kids that are atrocious readers, or who simply do not read, create some of the best writing I've read.  Sometimes it is almost a bit strange how much the two do not seem to overlap.

23. lawdoctorlee profile image83
    lawdoctorleeposted 12 years ago

Most definitely.  They go hand in hand.  Reading reinforces proper grammar and spelling and increases your vocabulary, which in turn makes you a better writer.  Reading also exposes you to different styles of writing, which helps create your own style and makes your writing interesting to others.  This is one of the reasons it is so important to get children to start reading at an early age.

You don't have to read the classics...just read about what things that interest you.  For instance, I'm not a big poetry fan, most of it goes over my head.  I like biographies and history books. Some people like to read technical books - but it all has the same influence.  The more  you read the better writer you will become.

If you have children that need to be encouraged to read, you may want to check out my Hub "Top 10 Ways to Encourage Children to Read."  You can find it at:

http://lawdoctorlee.hubpages.com/hub/To … en-to-Read

24. Karanda profile image80
    Karandaposted 12 years ago

Is it possible to be a good writer without being a good reader? Most of the top name writers say the best thing they can do to improve writing is to be a good reader. That doesn't mean reading a book a day but reading whatever comes your way. read more

25. samadaslam profile image60
    samadaslamposted 12 years ago

It is not necessary but often it is observed that a good writer is a good reader as well. The reason is obvious that a good reader can pick the soul and idea out of thousand words before eyes.

26. profile image56
    wim99posted 12 years ago

Recently I read a suprising statistic about readers stating that many adults have read only a couple books since high school. Subjectively, this may or may not lead to better writing, but its the isolation that inspires. Considering the mind of great writers works best when a sense of isolation occurs(its an escape from boredom). Yes there is a corelation in reading and writing but one should develop as an individual. Word Power is developed through education whether or not one is in school.

27. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 12 years ago

A writer who doesn't read is like a surgeon who didn't go to medical school.  How do you know how to do it?  How do you perfect your skill?  How do you learn from other's mistakes? 
    Stephen King reportedly writes 2000 words every day (if he finishes a book, he starts another one) and spends half the day reading.  If he sets so much store in reading, I'd say, there must be something to it.
    Aaron Sorkin said good writers borrow from the great writers - great writers steal from them!

28. DIYmyOmy profile image70
    DIYmyOmyposted 12 years ago

I believe that the best way to learn to write is to read.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)