jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How long does it normally take to finish a novel that is about 150-200 pages lon

1. Y2G profile image61
    Y2Gposted 6 years ago

How long does it normally take to finish a novel that is about 150-200 pages long?

2. JamesPoppell profile image86
    JamesPoppellposted 6 years ago

If I am reading it I can finish it in a few uninterrupted hours. I do not know how long it would take me to write it because I have never tried it.

3. LABrashear profile image60
    LABrashearposted 6 years ago

Nice catch JamesPoppell!  I thought Y2G was talking about writing one.  I guess it does depend on if you are writing or reading.  Reading, it depends on my interest level in the book.

On writing, I would say it depends on your inspiration and motivation.  I wrote a 55K word novel in a month, but I have another that I've been working on for about a year now.  The first was very inspired and just flowed.  The one I'm working on now...obviously I'm struggling with.

4. Y2G profile image61
    Y2Gposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I was referring to writing, not reading, but it's fine if you answer that as well.

5. profile image0
    Amanda Beck Mauckposted 6 years ago

Reading takes me a few hours over the course of a week. I have a child and busy home life. But writing 200 page book I think is about 50,000 words...It takes about an hour and a half for a normal typist to type 800-1200 words. Based on that I would say 55-60 hours of continued writing you should have typed out a rough draft. But who knows how long it really takes. Too many outside factors. If you sat hour after hour and didn't stop working you could be done in a week. But that is if everything (EVERYTHING) was figured out and went according to plan..

6. singleaple profile image71
    singleapleposted 6 years ago

When it comes to writing a novel - take a look at this http://singleaple.hubpages.com/hub/Fox- … hort-story

I think you will be surprised at the answer given in the very first sentence.

7. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 6 years ago

It depends on your speed of writing, imagination, whether you're writing or reading, and whether you mean 150-200 published pages or standard A4 paper with all the correct margins and double spaced with something like Times New Roman double spaced, which will contain about 200 words.

8. brianjanuary profile image60
    brianjanuaryposted 4 years ago

It really does depend. I do an enormous amount of research--even for novellas--so that adds a lot of time. If you outline and plan the plot in advance you can save a lot of time. Some authors think 1K words a day is fantastic, while others don't stop until they reach 10K--but then some writers have more available time to write than others.

working