jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Has anyone read this book?

1. Larael profile image72
    Laraelposted 5 years ago

Has anyone read this book?

I read it when I was much younger and I cannot remember the title or author. The basic premise of the story is this woman drives up and down the highways picking up hitchhikers. She then pushes various buttons in her car and needles rise up and prick the men somehow. They end up falling asleep and she takes them as hostages. You then find out the woman is some weird species of alien who must collect men and use them as...food?  I don't remember why they were collecting them. The woman had had a lot of surgery in order to make her look more like a human and had to shave her fur off. Any leads?

2. profile image0
    HubTubposted 5 years ago

Sounds like Under the Skin by Michel Faber

3. Docmo profile image93
    Docmoposted 5 years ago

Sounds very much like 'Under the Skin' by Michael Faber. Set in the Scottish Highlands - a strange woman with a lot of surgical scars picks up well proportioned hitchhikers and drugs them in order to deliver them to her alien compatriots. They fatten the men and use them as food ( vodsel), Human flesh is a delicacy in their world. This dark, compelling and often satirical novel was shortlisted for  the Whitbread prize in 2000.

The woman/alien is called Isserley, apparently the book has been optioned for a film adaptation and Scarlett Johansson is set to play the alluring alien.

4. Larael profile image72
    Laraelposted 5 years ago

OMG THANK YOU!!!  big_smile  That must be it!  It sounds almost exactly the same.  I am writing it down now.  Going to the library TOMORROW!!!  Thank you SO MUCH HubTub and Docmo!!  big_smile

working