How important are your followers or the people following you?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Frank Atanacio profile image81
    Frank Atanacioposted 6 years ago

How important are your followers or the people following you?

I ask this question because I notice people following me that never read me they just follow so they can be followed. I only follow the people I read and when I no longer read them I do not follow. Am I really missing something here?

2. hoteltravel profile image69
    hoteltravelposted 6 years ago

Being new to hubpages, I have few followers and I follow a few. Because of this, I can manage to read all the latest hubs of hubbers I follow daily and comment. I think hubbers following hundreds of hubbers have to pick and choose what they read. What you say may be correct, as many things here depend on the hubber score.

3. Highvoltagewriter profile image81
    Highvoltagewriterposted 6 years ago

It all depends on what you are wanting to accomplish here at HP. Some people view getting followers as a popularity contest. I stirive to create a large following to help suport my book that I am writing and help to get it published.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image93
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

It's very tough to differentiate between a legitimate follower (someone who read and likes your stuff) and a spam follower (someone who follows just to gain follows back). Sometimes there are indicators, like if they ask you to follow them in their fan mail, and sometimes there aren't. While I always enjoy seeing my number of followers go up, I don't really get any satisfaction out of it unless the person leaves fan mail that suggests they actually read my stuff. This can be them saying that they liked article x, or them saying that they enjoy my writing. Those are probably the followers I cherish most.

5. ib radmasters profile image59
    ib radmastersposted 6 years ago

I appreciate those people that give my hubs intelligent feedback. That is the essence of what is important to me.

It may not directly answer the question that you posed here.
    Your ultimate question is the importance of having many followers like people strive for on FB. That makes it a popularity test, not a measure of quality writing. in my opinion.

6. Frank Atanacio profile image81
    Frank Atanacioposted 6 years ago

so far.. the answers I have received is useful.. you guys rock!!!

7. savanahl profile image68
    savanahlposted 6 years ago

I've wondered this myself. I'll often get fan mail from someone saying that they like my writing but they've never bothered to ever leave me any feedback, which leads me to believe that they've never read any of my work. I follow a lot of people but it's because I really like their writing. I don't always get around to commenting on every hub because I'll take some time off to concentrate on my own writing but then I'll return to see what I've missed. I guess everyone's different but I'd prefer a smaller more intimate following. smile

8. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 6 years ago

I like how each of the authors have responded to this question and even though I am new here, I am finding your opinions to be quite valid.

I have read that following everyone is a good way to bring the overall Hubber score down.

I personally will not follow anyone until I have a good feel for them and this may require me to read a half-dozen of their Hubs. I also never "follow" without telling them why I did so. Feedback is very important to me because it helps me guage where "things" are at and I'm sure they feel the same way.

In a way it is flattering when someone follows you, but if they do not tell you why it seems a little superficial. At least that's the way I feel about it. Why follow me if you don't have a good reason for doing so? And, if you do have a reason for doing so, please tell the world and me about it.

In my mind the quality of "followers" is more imortant than the quantity.

9. hillymillydee profile image60
    hillymillydeeposted 6 years ago

There are two kinds of followers here in hubpages; the one who wants to follow someone to be followed in return and the real follower who follows you because they are interested of your topics and want to be updated of your hubs.

But we don't count on followers to always read our new published hubs. Of course they have the right to choose which of your hubs they like to read. As we write varieties of topics, they will only choose to read what match their interest.

Actually we are not writing hubs for our followers but we are writing hubs for the global audience.  We would rather like traffic from the search engines to come and read our hubs so we can earn revenue from them.

The importance of followers is for us to be inspired and encouraged if they will give us positive comments and feed backs. These feed backs can helps us rank both in hubpages and in Googles. But as I said, there being a follower doesn't mean they must read our hubs.

We are thankful they follow us and we appreciate them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)