jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Wordiness. How to Know Your Writing is Wordy.

1. kannanwrites profile image94
    kannanwritesposted 6 years ago

Wordiness. How to Know Your Writing is Wordy.

Also how you can get around it easily

2. Rhonda_M profile image85
    Rhonda_Mposted 6 years ago

One thing I tell my students is to try reading your work out loud. Would you actually be able to "speak" your writing.  Here are some more tips:

*check for the passive voice (the indirect format). The always sets you up to write wordy
    *eliminate wordy phrases such as "due to the fact that", and "I am writing you to tell you that"
    *avoid lawyer-like writing (herewith, the undersigned, heretofore etc).and other gobble-gook like phrases.

:-)

3. Ironman1992 profile image60
    Ironman1992posted 6 years ago

One problem that I run into is adjective and adverbs making my writing needlesly wordy. Now, I try to use them only when they effect the meaning of a sentence. Something else that makes writing too wordy is wandering off on subjects that do not contribute to the topic.

4. Mercia Collins profile image70
    Mercia Collinsposted 6 years ago

Use as few words to explain your meaning clearly. Use active verbs rather than passive ones. Read your work aloud. Edit out confusion. Never use many words where one would do, for example, "at this point in time" is simply "now" or "currently".  "year on Year" is "each year" or "every year". Use plain English, rather than jargon. The Plain English Campaign's websites gives some good pointers on Plain English.

working