jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Electronic Reader

1. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 8 years ago

Does anyone have one of those things like the Kindle? If so, how are they?

2. darkside profile image82
    darksideposted 8 years ago

I don't have one. Yet. In the last week they released an international version of it.

I'm interested. But then today Barnes & Noble release their own electronic reader, the Nook.

3. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 8 years ago

Yeah, I got an email from them about it. That's what prompted my query. Wondering if it's worth the money.

4. darkside profile image82
    darksideposted 8 years ago

Kindle's got the keyboard on the reader, and Nook's got the color display for previewing covers. Maybe there's a stylus you use to make notes on the Nook. If the Nook allows for opening text docs and PDF's then I'd lean more towards the Nook.

1. aperturering profile image81
      apertureringposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The nook can open pdf's

1. darkside profile image82
        darksideposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Got source?

Barnes and Noble has a long comparison page that lists all of its features including PDF support - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/

Keep in mind that the pdf's are displayed in black and white. The gray scale is great on them and text is flawless, (except that you could have problems with font colors). Some of the images look great, but others look a little funny to me in e-ink. But I guess the same thing would happen if you printed the pdf out in black and white.

1. darkside profile image82

Thanks for that!

2. darkside profile image82

Or I won't.

Can't buy ebooks or subscriptions for it overseas.

Yeah, the kindle might be better for you.

Amazon is really pushing the international sales and usage on the latest kindle. Just be careful if you travel abroad. There is an additional fee for downloading books wirelessly on the kindle. Basically an international roaming charge.

You can also convert docs and PDF's for your kindle through Amazon's Whispernet service. Again, more small fees if you have them send it wirelessly to your kindle.

You can avoid the international wireless and conversion fees if you download to your computer and then transfer the files over to your kindle.

5. aperturering profile image81
    apertureringposted 8 years ago

The E-ink displays on both the Kindle and the Nook are very nice. They look just like a page of a book.

The price can seem rather hefty for a device that is designed to do one thing when you can get a netbook for the same price. However, it can be worth it if it does that one thing very well. Just look at the ipod.

6. Ivorwen profile image74
    Ivorwenposted 8 years ago

They seem interesting, but I just love the feel of a book.  Don't know if I really would like one or not -- then there is the whole electronic copyright thing... it's not like just passing a good book around to a few friends.

7. frogdropping profile image87
    frogdroppingposted 8 years ago

I would like one, and it's on my wish or christmas list, whichever comes first.

I prefer the smell and feel of books but english language books are thin on the ground here.

For me it will be worth the money. Coupled with postage etc, book reading has become an expensive pastime for me and I read a lot.

8. lrohner profile image83
    lrohnerposted 8 years ago

I was going to buy a Kindle until they started pulling books. Don't know if you guys heard the news on that a few months back, but evidently they had a title or two that they pulled. So even if you bought it, it was gone. Forever. Deleted. Permanently.

I figured I stick with paper and ink at that point.

working