jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do I start a novel

1. CastleQueen profile image60
    CastleQueenposted 5 years ago

How do I start a novel

I have the ideas and I know once I get started I can write. I always get hung up with the wheres and hows on starting.

2. skobytube profile image58
    skobytubeposted 5 years ago

You have to start the novel, but you have to have planned to finish it before you type the first word on page one. And that means laying some groundwork.

3. DarkMuse13 profile image71
    DarkMuse13posted 5 years ago

I completely disagree with Skobytube. You don't have to know the ending before you begin writing. Sometimes that is the best part of writing: seeing where it leads to for the ending.

I do say that you need an outline of your story before you begin though. Write out who the characters are, their names, and what they look like. Then if there are any important events that you want to happen in the book, plan those out too. Write down where, when, with what, any significance it is supposed to have to the other characters or special meaning for yourself. Anything and everything important.

For my short story Upon High posted on here recently, I wrote an outline out of what I wanted in it before I even started the story. It helped a lot because while writing I could add new ideas into the story without getting lost or losing the stuff I wanted in it.

Good Luck!

4. CastleQueen profile image60
    CastleQueenposted 5 years ago

I know exactly what happens in the story I can sit here and tell you whats in the story I can even put it into short story form but i am having so much trouble turning it into a novel which is what I want to do with it. The short story just isn't enough to tell it all..

5. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

Very few people start on page one and go right through to page 476.
    Write what you have in mind now, then you can decide, later, where it belongs in the novel.
    Look at some strategies of other writers and you will see that a novel  doesn't necessarily start  with the earliest chronological event in the story. Often, an intriguing piece of action opens the story and then flashes back to previous events.
    Where you start may become apparent once you get into writing the story.
    Figuring out some of the details and characterizations can be a first step. Many people start with an outline-- but nothing is set in cement. The most important part is to start writing and see where it leads you.