jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How did we get our alphabet?

1. Myn Is Me profile image71
    Myn Is Meposted 5 years ago

How did we get our alphabet?

2. tom_caton profile image80
    tom_catonposted 5 years ago

Spread from Middle Italy, from the usage of the Latin alphabet. During and following the age of exploration it spread to parts of the world not limited to the European continent.

Grecian areas continued regardless to use the greek alphabet while the Arabic alphabet prevented it's spread to the middle east.

3. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

Originally, I thought it came from a box of cereal.  Lately, I'm more inclined to believe that it comes from a can of soup.....

4. Mr Knowitall profile image71
    Mr Knowitallposted 5 years ago

It came to us from the Romans, who adopted many letters in it from the Greeks, in the sixth century B.C. The Greeks got their alphabet in the main from the Phoenicians, who had adapted the Egyptian and other methods of writing.

The letters are commonly supposed to be simplified pictures of objects, the names of which began with the sounds indicated by the various letters.

But it is also held that the very early scribes, when trying to find symbols that would suggest sounds, took those in which the hand most closely followed the movements of the tongue and lips. To take one example: when one makes the sound "oh," the mouth naturally becomes more or less circular, and O is the symbol which suggests this.