Do you re-read favorite books over the years or are you strictly a read-it-once

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. thebiologyofleah profile image68
    thebiologyofleahposted 12 years ago

Do you re-read favorite books over the years or are you strictly a read-it-once person?

People have different philosophies on this question, some feel re-reading is a waste of valuable time in light of all the other books out there to read, while others re-read their favorite book once a year picking up new things each time and thinking about it in different ways. Where do you stand?

2. Little Nell profile image75
    Little Nellposted 12 years ago

Re-read and re-read, generally very quickly,  but I pick up new things all the time.

3. hewzay profile image69
    hewzayposted 12 years ago

Re-read for sure, especially if it was something that I read a long time ago.

4. blaeberry profile image60
    blaeberryposted 12 years ago

I like to re-read certain books, usually classics of English literature such as Dickens or Jane Austen which keep luring me back.  I love to read these during my lunch break at work and to reserve new novels to read at home.

5. Teylina profile image60
    Teylinaposted 12 years ago

Re-read, definitely, if it really grabs me or a rare find, etc. Try to keep my "library" around 1500 (difficult, living in apts!), and novels are out-numbered big time, but I always have about 1-200, of which I would read any one of them again and enjoy them!

6. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I love to reread a favorite book.  If I am feeling down, revisiting a favorite book is like visiting an old friend - man that sounds so corny but I really do feel that way.

7. dahoglund profile image72
    dahoglundposted 12 years ago

I mean to reread some books but I never seem to get around to it.

8. JKenny profile image88
    JKennyposted 12 years ago

I always re-read books mostly for reference, but sometimes I like to relive certain memories associated with different books. I don't see anything wrong in doing it, after all most of us have seen our favourite films more than once.

9. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 12 years ago

I've read many books over the years, and I have read them just once.
    I like to move on then, and read books I haven't yet had a chance to read.

10. LABrashear profile image60
    LABrashearposted 12 years ago

I love revisiting my favorite books.  I try to do it every so often.  I definitely re-read when there is going to be a movie or made for TV about one of my favs.

11. profile image0
    Emer420posted 12 years ago

It depends on the book.  But I usually re-read my books a few times.

12. taw2012 profile image59
    taw2012posted 12 years ago

I have re-ready many books which i found interesting and which are worth re-reading. I don't have any strict read-once policy.

13. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

I have re-read my favorite books at least four times each. My absolute favorites? I read them four times a year.

14. Diana Lee profile image75
    Diana Leeposted 12 years ago

I re-read favorite books so I can remember the interesting parts. I re-read my own writing projects mostly to check for error or to see if my thoughts are the same. As my memory fades easily sometimes, it's not at all a waste to re-read a good book, re-view a good movie or revisit my own words. I often notice things I didn't notice before.

15. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 12 years ago

I've re-read my favorite books several times... largely because I am such a lousy reader (for comprehension) that it takes two or more times for me to "absorb" the whole story and its details.....

16. ishwaryaa22 profile image81
    ishwaryaa22posted 12 years ago

I honestly admit that I re-read my certain favorite books. My favorite books are the best-selling or much acclaimed books that are often crisp, light and racy. These favorite books of mine has the kind of endearing quality that make the readers, including me keep coming back to them again.

17. Eric Calderwood profile image77
    Eric Calderwoodposted 12 years ago

I have some books that I've re-read many times.  Some of those I will probably even read again.  Other books I've read two or three times.  But for the majority, I read the book once, enjoy it, and that is enough.

18. Gail Daley profile image61
    Gail Daleyposted 12 years ago

I re-read constantly, and when I do I always discover something new.

19. Civil War Bob profile image59
    Civil War Bobposted 12 years ago

Definitely re-read.  I've gone through the Bible 23 times, Lord of the Rings 7, and have carried over the habit to movies: Gettysburg 37 times, Lord of the Rings 32 and the whole Firefly series and Serenity 20 times, to name a few.  There's always more to find out.

20. profile image0
    Chris Hughposted 11 years ago

Reread! When a book is really good I've been known to loop back and go straight from the last page back to the first.

21. lawrence2012 profile image56
    lawrence2012posted 11 years ago

The only books that I have ever reread are "The Hobbit" and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.  Other than that, if I ever reread a book, it's because it was so non memorable the first time that I forgot that I actually read it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)