What are your favorite books?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Ivana Divac profile image79
    Ivana Divacposted 3 years ago

Let's discuss some of your favorite books, and the talented authors behind them! What are your favorite authors, favorite books, and why?

1. CHRIS57 profile image60
      CHRIS57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I like humor in books. So - to start with English writing authors:
      - John Steinbeck: Cannery Row
      - James Michener: Caravans.
      Politicians (Soviet, Americans..) should have read Caravans before seeking questionable adventures in Afghanistan.

Then there are non English authors:
      - Rafik Shami, a Syrian German writer and story teller who connects interwoven stories like in 1001 nights with modern times. Actually i discovered this treat while reading children books to my kids and grandchildren. My favorites are: "Damascus Nights" and "The Calligrapher´s Secret". Read the books in German, don´t know how good translations are.

- Ilf and Petrov, Russian Journalists and Writers, the 2 came up with some of my favorite books:
      - TheTwelve Chairs,
      - The Little Golden Calf,
      Possibly known is also: One Storied America or Little Golden America.

Of course there is much more to read.

Before i forget: one of the worst writers: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, unbelieveable how this guy got the Nobel Prize, was purely political.

When it comes to international literature, a great deal of reading comfort has to be attributed to translators. An example from children books: "Winnie the Poo" by A.A.Milne.
      In English a great book, easy to read, very entertaining. In German: poor translation, was never really popular in G.. Then on the contrary the Russian translation is very good, carries the spirit.

2. Noel Penaflor7 profile image79
    Noel Penaflor7posted 3 years ago

I love horror, but I'll read almost anything.

1. Ivana Divac profile image79
      Ivana Divacposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Me too! But horror is amazing, honestly.

3. Communicake profile image62
    Communicakeposted 3 years ago

My favorite book right now is A Game of Thrones because it made me fall in love with reading and lore all over again. I don't know what my overall alltime favorite book is though. My favorite book series for a while was called Cirque Du Freak. They were good books all the way through.

4. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 3 years ago

Rider Haggard.  His best book by far was Alan Quatermain. He  was the original Indiana Jones. And I love good English.

Frank Herbert. Dune was amazing. Didn't like the sequels. Paul Atreides will forever live in my heart. I loved his characters and his world-building.

Roger Zelazny. He was the most amazing novelist. If you weren't widely read, you didn't recognize the names of his characters or the phrases he used. I am so sorry he passed so  young.

Asimov. Not even justifying that.

Tolkien. I read Lord of the Rings in 1975 while making my way across Europe. it was the best part. His depth of world-building and characterising was the best.

Sherilyn Kenyon. Love her League series, and I'm peeved that for personal reasons, the next one in the series has not yet come out.  I'm a romantic at heart. I love dashing heroes and great love stories.

Christine Feehan. Love her Carpathan, Torpedo Ink, SeaHaven, Drake Sisters, Leopard, and Ghostwalker series. As with Sherrilyn Kenyon, I love heroes and great love stories.

Clive Cussler. Sorry he passed. Loved his Numa series. He was a shitty writer, but one helluve storyteller.

Agatha Christie. Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple are wonderful.

Arthur Conan Doyle. I read them all. Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson are stars.

Alexander Dumas. The Count of Monte Christo and The Three Muskateers are wonderful stories. I'm a romantic at heart. What can I say? I love my heroes who fight injustice.

Leslie Charteris. It's a pity that the character of the Saint was never carried over from the books. He is the ultimate anti-hero, and the humour is superb. Not a single ounce of that comes through in any of the series or movies.

Leon Uris, Paul Brickhill, Neville Shute, Alistair McLean, Geofrey Jenkins, John Wyndham, James Mitchener, Sergeanne Golon, John Creasy, and a thousand other authors have dominated much of my life. I've probably forgotten most of them.

I started reading at the age of seven and for my school years read between two and four books a day. (I read 500 pages an hour, and gifted people do read at that speed), and I still read a book a day.

The worst books I ever read were Ayn Rand (I read them all), Celestine Prophesy, 50 Shades of Grey, How to Win Friends and Influence People, Think and Grow Rich, Conversations with God (I was sent two copies in the post by two different people), Love Story, Jonathan Livingstone Seagull, The Late Great Planet Earth, and more.

I have also read a good deal of non-fiction, probably about 600 books in the self-help and psychology, psychiatry, and neurology genres. Wanted to know WTF was wrong with me that I didn't function the way other people did. Turns out I did very well on the Asperger's test.

Read many business books, science books, etc.

5. profile image0
    Lorna Lamonposted 3 years ago

I have recently read a book which I couldn't put down. Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Set in the slums of Bombay it is full of vibrant characters. The author's own life is very colourful, however, he established a free medical clinic for the slum dwellers and a charitable trust to care for them. He also lived with them for many years. I also enjoy the classics - too many to list.

6. Olumisin Tolulope Tinuoye profile image52
    Olumisin Tolulope Tinuoyeposted 3 years ago

I have so many but I like at Arm's length by Gail Sattler. I read it a very long time ago but the characters are so vivid and real to me that I can still discuss it now.

7. Hertha David profile image79
    Hertha Davidposted 3 years ago

I favourite books are comics, romance, history and life lesson type of books or one that I can find peace in such as those by Shunryu Suzuki and so many authors that make you feel like you are actually really there and in the moment.

8. EL Doll profile image83
    EL Dollposted 3 years ago

I have really enjoyed reading The Grace Year, Handmaids Tale, the Shatter me Series, and The Darkest Part of the Forest, just to name a few. I enjoy dystopian but like a realistic fiction or fantasy book sprinkled in too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)