jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

What is the biggest writing blunder you have ever read?

1. MarleneB profile image96
    MarleneBposted 5 years ago

What is the biggest writing blunder you have ever read?

Whether content on the internet or in a hardback book, what is the biggest mistake you have ever read? For instance, one time I saw a paragraph repeated twice in a hardback book.

2. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

When I graduated high school, our class photograph was on the cover of the local paper..... It was the class, on the stage with a banner overhead which read,  "Forward ever, backwards never."    Unfortunately the banner was so wide, that the words "Forward" and "Never" didn't appear in the picture....

MarleneBposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that's a serious blunder! Thank you so much for sharing.

3. netraptor profile image59
    netraptorposted 5 years ago

I read a book once where half of chapter 3 was repeated in chapter 8. I was extremely confused until I figured out what had happened. Then I was disgusted. Was the editor not there that day?

Storywise, I read a book once where the heroine's father died. Then late in the book, she inexplicably walks into his office and asks his advice. It wasn't like he was a ghost. It was like the author forgot the dad had died and never read back through his own book.

MarleneBposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing, netraptor. It amazes me when I see things like that and, I wonder (like you) what happened to the editor.

4. Eric Calderwood profile image82
    Eric Calderwoodposted 5 years ago

Read any online news article.  They are full of blunders!

5. Pennypines profile image60
    Pennypinesposted 5 years ago

All you have to do is come to my little home town and read the local weekly paper.  I sometimes wonder where in heaven's name they obtained their education.  They have even had the temerity to edit my letters with misuse of words and spellings.

6. Ciel Clark profile image72
    Ciel Clarkposted 5 years ago

I've read quite a few typos in published hardback books, but the biggest blunders are ones I see in my own classroom...  I teach English to adult university students and every semester or two I have a student who really struggles with the basics in class... and then turns in a paper that is grammatically perfect and obviously not in his or her own words.  This is a big blunder for me, and I am always sorry to see cut and paste passed off as personal work...

working