Which is an easier genre to write in and get published: science-fiction or fanta

1. Anne Losch profile image65
    Anne Loschposted 5 years ago

Which is an easier genre to write in and get published: science-fiction or fantasy?

Being a creative person, interested in writing a book sometime, I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on this subject.  I know science-fiction and fantasy somewhat go together.

2. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't say that either are the easy route. Honestly, you would be better off focusing on a sub-genre rather than the broader categories. For example, high fantasy, and epic fantasy, aren't as popular right now as steampunk and urban fantasy. If you're looking to get published, figuring out which sub-genres are popular is the quickest way to reaching your goal. However, I would recommend that you just write what you want to write first, and worry about publishing later. Granted, that makes the job of getting published that much more difficult, but I feel like your story would feel less forced if it is telling a story first, and fitting into a genre second.

3. ccornblatt profile image89
    ccornblattposted 5 years ago

As far as writing goes, I'd have to say fantasy is easier. Science fiction typically requires a level of technical knowledge that is not needed in fantasy. Fantasy is about pure creativity, and fans are willing to believe almost anything; science fiction, however, often involves describing fairly technical mechanical things such as space ships or other futuristic devices, and those devoted to the genre are liable to shy away if they feel portions of the writing were poorly researched. When it comes to publishing, though, this depends solely on the merit of the work by itself. A book is not published because of its genre; it is published because it is well-written and catches the attention of a literary agent or publisher.

working