jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Name one of your favorite songs. What about its lyrics and/or melody strikes you

1. Quirinus profile image73
    Quirinusposted 5 years ago

Name one of your favorite songs. What about its lyrics and/or melody strikes you most?

Name one of your favorite songs. What about its lyrics and/or melody strikes you most?

2. mary615 profile image94
    mary615posted 5 years ago

I love the theme song from Ghost, "Oh, My Love", I think is the name.  It is so haunting and beautiful.

3. Rajan Dhir profile image71
    Rajan Dhirposted 5 years ago

Right now, i can only think of 'Words' by Boyzone. I think it is about honesty- the manner in which it is written or portrayed by the singers. The soul of the song is true.

4. Tinsky profile image94
    Tinskyposted 5 years ago

My favourite song is a German Cabaret song, Der Nachtwandler (The Night Wanderer) composed by Gustav Falke.  It was first recorded by Brettl-Lieder in 1901 and includes voice, flute, trumpet, trombone and drums.

I  have been fortunate to enjoy this song since I turned 20.  It is a lot of fun to sing and I was fortunate enough to perform it for my 3rd year singing exam at the Conservatorium of Music.

One of the first versus has a very catching lyrics: Meine heftige Henriette wohnt in diesem kleinen Haus
    Translation is pretty much: My girlfriend Henriette lives in that small house.

I like this stanza because the lyrics supported by the fun band ensemble create a clear, crisp and sharp melody and when I sing this song the lyrics are very visual.

The song tells a story that unfolds about a cabaret singer who has been out carousing with friends comes upon their lovers house and they are worried about her waking up, so decide to sneak past.  The most catching part of the song is the chorus which starts in German as "Scht und hm".  Translated into English it is "Shh and hm" (with finger over the lip as if to say, quiet).

Its a wonderful instrumental small band piece, uplifting and fun.  If you get a chance to listen to it some time I highly recommend it.  You can listen to the original recording online at the Arnold Schoenberg Centre.

5. dustinweishaar profile image59
    dustinweishaarposted 5 years ago

Trying to pick one song is pretty hard for me because music(all genres) is a huge part of my life. But I'd have to say that one of the many songs that have impacted me is Lamb Of God's song "Broken Hands." The song is about choosing to move forward in your life no matter what kind of crap is in your past. The lyrics are so brutally honest and not once does the song try to sugar coat anything. Letting go and moving on from moments in the past that have deeply hurt and affected you can sometimes be difficult. Sometimes the process needs to be violent in a way and that's what the song talks about. The first time I heard it I thought it was just a cool song and then one day the lyrics seemed to be talkign directly to me and I've been using that song as a motivator whenever I start feeling down due to something in the past or in general.