jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Everyone has had to read a book but despised it, please tell me what book and wh

1. JulianaDragoness profile image76
    JulianaDragonessposted 5 years ago

Everyone has had to read a book but despised it, please tell me what book and why you disliked it?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6771612_f260.jpg

2. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

In high school I had to read "The Oxbow Incident" for English class. It was not at all a book I would have chosen. To be honest I don't remember much about it other than I think it involved a hanging.

1. JulianaDragoness profile image76
      JulianaDragonessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Actually I've never heard of this book so obviously it was awful. I hated that we had to read a wrinkle in time because it was so boring to me.

2. duffsmom profile image61
      duffsmomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Really? Wrinkle in Time is one of my favorite books.  It's funny how everyone's taste is different.

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

I had to read the Red Badge of Courage in high school. It was a fictional book with footnotes and the teacher tested more on the footnotes than the story.

I do not read as much as I should and one of the reasons is that teacher--she took the joy out of reading by worrying to much about the relatively unimportant details. Many a good book has been condensed by either Reader's Digest or a good screen writer. Some authors get overly carried away with describing every detail.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image96
      Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's funny that I actually was a voracious reader in high school, but usually any book that was assigned I never wanted to read. They wanted to analyze the thing to death which really ruined it for me.

4. spv profile image60
    spvposted 5 years ago

I read the White Tiger by Aravind Adiga in 2009, though it won the Man Booker Prize the same year, the book failed to impress me. It was a sad satire of Indian economy, it made the depressing situation no better...

5. staceyh profile image78
    staceyhposted 5 years ago

I remember in Junior High we had to read "Silas Marner".  I don't remember a thing about it because I found it absolutely dull. I remember having to reread pages of it because I would totally tune out.

To this day it's become somewhat of a joke for me - if you need help falling asleep, pick up a copy of that book and you'll be asleep in no time.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I had to read that one -- you are right, was rather boring. I often wondered how such books became part of the reading curriculum that was designed to encourage students to read.

working