jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are the different writing styles (of authors)? And how do I find my writing

1. thecrazzykylex profile image40
    thecrazzykylexposted 5 years ago

What are the different writing styles (of authors)? And how do I find my writing voice?

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

If it's a "How to..." book a writer will usually talk in terms of what they have learned/researched or experienced. If it is fictional you may choose to write from one of the character's point of view or possibly you may act as a the narrator similar to reading a story to someone. The book I recently published was a "How to" or "Self-help" relationship advice book. I chose to combine both my life experience and observations of other people's relationships. Best of luck!

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Thee are soooo many different writing styles because no two people write alike. They each would choose a different word to describe a situation, person, or object. Your writing voice is anything you would like it to be. Descriptive, psychological, poetic, philosophy filled, driven, etc.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

You find your writing voice by being an avid reader.  Read all kinds of books, fiction, non-fiction, books you might not normally choose off of a shelf. It is all research and learning.  What kind of stories really speak to you, humor, drama - know what you like and learn how you want to "sound" in your writing.  And then write write write, every day a little something.  It is like a video game in a sense, the more you play, the better you get.  Writing is like that.