jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Does music affect your writing? Or do you you find that they intertwine?

1. lorlie6 profile image82
    lorlie6posted 6 years ago

Does music affect your writing?  Or do you you find that they intertwine?

2. Sean Mackenzie profile image59
    Sean Mackenzieposted 6 years ago

I think they are one.... What do you think about when you're writing your hubs?

3. TheDailyMessenger profile image61
    TheDailyMessengerposted 6 years ago

I believe it depends on what type of music you listen to. For example if you listen to rock your writing becomes slightly more aggressive or with soft music your writing is more controlled. Music really has an affect on your writing.  It also intertwines with your writing because of how it effects your writing. That's what I believe anyways. :-)

4. Phil Plasma profile image76
    Phil Plasmaposted 6 years ago

Music can inspire writing sometimes but for me, most of the time, music and writing are two separate things.  I often write in silence and prefer it that way.

5. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

The only kind of music I can listen to while I'm writing is classic music with slow tempos that never had any lyrics attached to it. Otherwise I will start singing the lyics. It is automatic. I am a singer.

6. Meisjunk profile image91
    Meisjunkposted 6 years ago

If I'm listening to music that I've heard a million times, it becomes soothing background. If I'm listening to the radio or to new music, I become distracted with the song and tend to get less done. xD

So I guess it depends! Lately I haven't been writing with any kind of music, but there's usually something stuck in my head. smile

1. beckyefp profile image66
      beckyefpposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have the same experience. Newer music is extremely distracting, but music that I played on repeat several years ago can be extremely inspiring. It takes me back to the mindset I was in at the time, but doesn't require nearly so much attention.

7. Stickbug profile image57
    Stickbugposted 6 years ago

I almost always have music on when I write. I write a lot of fiction, and what I do is I make a playlist of music that fits the mood of whatever I'm writing. Like if I'm writing something action-y or aggressive, I'll put on some metal. If I'm writing something sad or serious, I'll put together an arrangement of sad-sounding classical music. If it's upbeat, I'll listen to pop. It helps me get into the writing more, because when I write, the music sort of fades into the background. If I'm writing an essay or something though, I'll listen to either anything or nothing. Kinda depends on the day.

8. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

Not for me.  I tend to zone out completely when I write.  Disappear into a place where I probably shouldn't be.smile  I don't notice noise or my environment.  I think that's more a product of upbringing in a loud house rather than a mental dysfunction, though.

9. Finn mac Faelan profile image62
    Finn mac Faelanposted 6 years ago

Music can definitely affect my writing, and not simply because it's playing and providing a backdrop while I'm writing. If I've been listening to a song, piece, or type of music, that strongly resonates with me, I find that when I sit down to write, some of its motifs, rhythms, and cadences show up in what I write and the way I write it. If you pay attention to how music affects you, you will find it is an extremely powerful energy. Some music can soothe you, some irritate you, some gladden you, and some spur you on to action. Music definitely does affect a writer, even if he's unaware of its effect.

working