Is self publishing ideal for a debut writer?

1. Mellyunplugged profile image78
    Mellyunpluggedposted 5 years ago

Is self publishing ideal for a debut writer?

Can anyone help me with the disadvantages/advantages of Self publishing when compared to Traditional publishing. Is this ideal for a debut?

2. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

For a new writer I wouldn't say that one has a distinct advantage over the other. Both are open to new writers, it's just that the challenges are different. Traditional publishing is harder to get into, but generally has a larger payoff because it's easier to get noticed by readers. Self publishing is easy to get into, but much harder to get noticed. So really, it's just a question of what you want to spend more time on, self promotion or query letters.

Personally I recommend traditional publishing over self publishing. The reason is because the self publishing market is overflowing right now with new writers. The market is over-saturated, making it difficult to locate anyone who hasn't already made it big. It would be kind of like throwing your book into an ocean of books and just hoping that a swimmer runs into it. Traditional publishing also has a better track record with editing, which goes a long way from separating a book by an amateur from a book by a pro. Similarly, you can't get into book stores or libraries with a self published book, further cutting off your pathways to getting noticed. Traditional publishing has its problems too, but I just don't think the self publishing market has matured enough yet to be a reliable source of good literature.

1. Mellyunplugged profile image78
      Mellyunpluggedposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah what you explained is absolutely right. However, when one think about the pain, rejections and time taken by the traditional publishing houses make an impression that self publishing is easy. Yes it is indeed easy as u said, but sales is dificlt

working