jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Since when is HP qualified to determine quality writing?

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
    Petra Vlahposted 5 years ago

Since when is HP qualified to determine quality writing?

Some hubs are featured and some are not. HP makes a "quality assessment" and that is arrogant in the best of cases. When it comes to creative writing, HP does not have a clue what quality is.

2. William F. Torpey profile image76
    William F. Torpeyposted 5 years ago

HubPages has its own definition of quality, I think it's goes something like this: Capable of Making Money for HubPages.

3. multiculturalsoul profile image84
    multiculturalsoulposted 5 years ago

Petra, you have struck a nerve with me. I am a professional writer and veteran (28 years) English teacher, and I have often seen worse writing on HP than I see from my 7th graders. And yet, these poorly written hubs are highlighted and praised and featured because someone somewhere is making money. Call it the "50 Shades of Pay Syndrome." That novel was horrifically written, but it's making a lot of money. Thus, even bad writing can make a buck.

There are plenty of excellent writers here who write fantastic prose and poetry, and I hope they don't kowtow to the gods of money and start writing articles like "The Best 5 Toothbrushes You Can Buy" or "How to Get out of Bed in the Morning" or "The Best Remedies for Bellybutton Lint" or "How to Buy a Used Toaster."

I urge all creative writers to stay the course and keep providing quality fiction and poetry. Sure, it's not going to make us rich, but at least it will keep the overall quality of writing higher on HP. WE know what quality writing is, and it's up to us to keep sharing it until HP sees what quality writing is.

1. maddot profile image81
      maddotposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi multiculturalsoul, I know what you mean. I think having at least one other website that you own plus backlinking etc helps. I certainly haven't cracked the formula but I live in hope that quality information will reign!