jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

What makes you stop and read an article if you're just browsing?

1. Dorothee-Gy profile image70
    Dorothee-Gyposted 5 years ago

What makes you stop and read an article if you're just browsing?

2. profile image69
    Writer Chuckposted 5 years ago

The topic first and the lenght of the article second, last of all the first paragragh.

3. ahorseback profile image60
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Perhaps the smile of the poster ! A beautiful smile = a good hub !......:-}

4. Ebonny profile image90
    Ebonnyposted 5 years ago

The title/subject matter is the first thing, then the first couple of sentences.  Sometimes an interesting photo/graphic is the initial draw.  The length of an article doesn't put me off too much as long as it's broken down into paragraphs.

5. janshares profile image97
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

Subject matter that interests me grabs my eye first; if it's not too long, that keeps me reading; if it's well-written with excellent grammar and punctuation, that makes me want to read more; and if the images are breath-taking, sharp, and colorful, I want to stay. I may not finish the entire article if it's long but those other elements make me hang around longer than I would on a less stellar hub. I will also stop to read something by a hubber who has a rep for putting out excellent hubs even if I'm not that interested because I know I'll either learn something, have fun, or be inspired.

6. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Great question......any numbers of things will grab my interest enough to want to read a hub.  However, I would have to say, the "Title" as well as first couple of sentences......sometimes, even a picture or graphic will pull me in.
    I assume you're referring to hubs written by hubbers we don't religiously follow.  I read most all of their hubs, unless they're "recipes."
    On the other hand, as long as we're giving opinions......there isn't much of anything that can entice me to read any kind of religious rant......I'd sooner stick needles in my eyes..

7. misstoughcookie97 profile image69
    misstoughcookie97posted 5 years ago

I stop by if it is a topic I'm interested in or something I'm in the mood for.

8. theodoresumrall profile image60
    theodoresumrallposted 5 years ago

When the subject matter touches my very own life. Let's say I'm suffering from some sort of disease and I find an article with actual solutions. smile

9. JimTxMiller profile image78
    JimTxMillerposted 5 years ago

Sell your Hub in six words. Granted, I'm an Ernest Hemingway fan and a retired old-school print journalist, but it is still a great headline (title) that does it for me.

10. profile image0
    Moeskyposted 5 years ago

I browse actively to find something in my interest area that will inspire me in my own life. Personal themes are aging, poetry and song writing, and "The meaning of life"... any fresh enticing title will make me scan the article, and if it offers a new look at things I'll read more thoroughly. Poetry is a different matter though - that's much more subjective.

11. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 5 years ago

I'm usually drawn to the title first: short, snappy, how-tos, something pithy or with numbers in it, or something clever that draws me in--How to Lose 10 Pounds in 10 Days, The Reasons Why 2013 Will Be Your Best Year Yet! Then a GREAT picture that encapsulates the article.

12. nehanatu86 profile image89
    nehanatu86posted 5 years ago

Probably the title of the article or may be the pictures...