jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Do you ever get embarrassed reading back your own work?

1. TravellingEurope profile image61
    TravellingEuropeposted 4 years ago

Do you ever get embarrassed reading back your own work?

Hello I just recently signed up to Hubpages. I often find myself groaning when reading back earlier work and encountering poor syntax, spelling or grammar. It has now come to the point where I am reluctant to review earlier work and would rather leave it unchanged than having to force myself to rewrite parts of it.  Has anyone ever encountered this problem?

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 4 years ago

Every time with every essay I feel this way. You are not alone.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Sometimes I do.  I am especially weak in dialogue and it helps me to read it out loud (when I am alone) to get a sense of the flow...and sometimes what I wrote and thought was fine -is absolutely NOT.  And I do get a little embarrassed.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image97
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

I think it's a normal thing all writers go through. I always roll my eyes when I look back on phases I went through. In one phase I used nothing but semi-colons and in another I decided to use the word 'presently' before a character did something. (I had just read the Time Machine when I did that one). But, we should be thankful for the ones we can edit. Just imagine how mortifying it would be if our early mistakes were immortalized in print!

1. TravellingEurope profile image61
      TravellingEuropeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes you are probably right, there is no point getting too upset about it. I still wish I had a personal proofreader who could assure me there were no absolute howlers in a text before i published it.

2. M. T. Dremer profile image97
      M. T. Dremerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If you have some close friends you trust, you can give it to them. Or, perhaps, join a writing group. They can really help to discover glaring errors before any publication is attempted.

working