The red shiny shoe lay on the grass beside.................... How would you en

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Anna Haven profile image72
    Anna Havenposted 11 years ago

The red shiny  shoe lay on the grass beside.................... How would you end this sentence?

It is interesting how even with one sentence the differences between each writer's imagination and style is apparent. How would you end the sentence above? Reading it back,  is it setting up for a happy or tragic storyline?

2. Mr.NGR profile image59
    Mr.NGRposted 11 years ago

the carefree child. My first thought was to go dark but this brought a smile to my face and I hope it does yours as well.

Anna Havenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It did. Thankyou for answering and for making me smile smile

2. Mr.NGR profile image59
      Mr.NGRposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome and thanks for asking the question in the first place, it made me think of my daughter when she was young.

3. MarieAlana1 profile image67
    MarieAlana1posted 11 years ago

the princess towel while the little girl went swimming. It's so easy to go perverted with this sentence, but then you think about all the little girls that love wearing their shiny red shoes.

Good answer. I didn't think of a little girl, in my head it was a young woman. No daughters you see, thankyou for answering smile

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Dorothy as home she arrived with Toto by her side. Couldn't resist the Wizard of Oz theme. smile

We see it so often when we are small no wonder it is one of the first thing we think of. Thankyou for answering smile

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome Anna.

5. Anna Haven profile image72
    Anna Havenposted 11 years ago

Lesley as she stretched on the gingham picnic rug nibbling the cucumber sandwich in Daniel's hand.

6. Seek-n-Find profile image72
    Seek-n-Findposted 11 years ago

The red shiny shoe lay on the grass beside the slumbering woman.  Free and shoeless she dreamed dreams of what life might be if only she could surrender.  The "shoulds" and voices of "wisdom" had guided her away from her dreams and towards "what is best" her entire life.  She was tired of shoes and dresses and masks--of playing the role of the happy executive and satisfied wife.  Her phone buzzed, alerting her that her power nap was over.  She awoke to the sight of sunlight dancing across the red shoe.   It was indeed a reflection--an image of a life she never meant to live.  She reached for shoe and then hesitated.  A thought she'd never before considered crossed her mind...

Liking the open ending, just screaming to be continued.......

7. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

the river ,  along with her dress ,neatly folded  underwear and I'm sure beneath the scant  pile ,  her other shoe!  The dress was the giveaway though , the only way for me to know that it was a woman !  At least until I saw her there ,   bathing in the quiet of the little whitewater  river .  Nude ,  softly tanned and soo wet ,  she swam from one boulder to another , finally emerging from the shallows  though , I almost spoke to warn her and yet I could not !  There she stood a mature and  awesomely beautiful maiden !  The water beaded on her  breasts , the sun touching her in places that only a lucky lucky man  could have been blessed to explore .

Thankyou for answering,  in a creative, sensual manner.

8. HeavyDosage profile image69
    HeavyDosageposted 11 years ago

"The red shiny shoe lay on the grass beside ..."

The word placement here forces a literally "bloody image," as far as I am concerned. The placement of "red" before "shiny" makes it jarring to look at by the sheer awkwardness (a shiny shoe is awkwardly called red, but red shoe is fittingly shiny. consider "new shiny shoes" vs "shiny new shoes," for example), and so forces my eyes to consider the implications of "red" here. Considering the stress on red, I almost (not quite. again: a little awkward) see the shoe as coloured red by something that is not inherent to the shoe (like blood or spilled paint).

Further, the Red/Green opposition (They are literally opposite colours) makes the scene, for me, disturbing. By that I mean that it is a jarring or unnatural image to look at. This effect is doubled by the contrary state of the civil/natural "red shiny shoes," which read most likely as dancing shoes or heels, and the grass.

Honestly I think that you can change this into whatever you want by tacking on any ending, but I do think that the power of the statement is lost on a more complacent image.  However, that's not to say that it has to be "horrific" (which my "bloody image" might have implied), because it can also be very sexual (blood being fertility).

here goes:
    "The red shiny shoe lay on the grass beside her pale body."

I had a sexual example, but I felt that it didn't contain itself within the passage at all, and required some external reference (either prior reference to sex or one to follow) or some exceptional wordiness.  But I don't write so who knows haha.

Thank you for such an interesting answer Heavy Dosage. The inversion does perhaps leave it open to darker connotations. Thankyou for taking the time to read and answer the question.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)