jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

What is your opinion of people who always point out your mistakes in your hubs

1. Author Cheryl profile image88
    Author Cherylposted 5 years ago

What is your opinion of people who always point out your mistakes in your hubs

I love when people critique my work.  It makes me a better writer.  I make my corrections but I think sometimes people just do it to be mean.  We all make mistakes in writing and I don't mind them being pointed out but if it's just for plain meaness why?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I have been really lucky and haven't experienced that.  I think sometimes some people who consider themselves writers are insecure and it may make them feel better to point out other's errors.

Author Cherylposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well this could be true.  They have no faith in their own writing skills so they have to be critical of others.

3. freedomsthoughts profile image60
    freedomsthoughtsposted 5 years ago

I have been told that my reviews are insulting.  I never mean to come across like that.  Im straight to the point and I hope that what I say gets through to them so that they too may grow in their writing and I ask the same out of anyone who reviews my work.

Author Cherylposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree I want people to make me a better writer but I think sometimes people are just pointing out mistakes to be mean.  Some of them are not even a member of hubpages but anonymous commenters.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Proper etiquette has never been established since this concept is still fairly new. One of the great things about the online community is that we all now have access to all information. The downside is that the information is not vetted and often incorrect information is put out. But then again, sometimes corrections are incorrect. It's sort of the "wild west" right now. I think anytime you make anything public, you can expect a wide range of reactions--some wanted, some unwanted. Celebrities know this better than anyone.

5. Mazzy Bolero profile image78
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't mind criticism at all, in fact I would appreciate it, as long as it was helpful, constructive criticism rather than just an insult or put-down. 

I am sure many hubbers would like to have feedback, especially if they would like to be professionals, and they rarely get it because people understandably don't want to hurt their feelings by criticizing publicly. What might be helpful would be some way to show that the writer would welcome private communications and criticism of their work, so that those who wanted to be helpful to them could do so via e-mail without worrying that they would be upsetting the writer.

As for mistakes and typos, we all sometimes make them and don't notice them even after proof-reading. I wouldn't really mind them being pointed out so I could correct them.  I've found errors I've made months after creating a hub and felt so embarrassed - how many people must have noticed that and didn't tell me:)

6. Amber Vyn profile image60
    Amber Vynposted 5 years ago

I'm really unsure about this, too. I read a lot of articles here that, with a little proofreading, could become great articles.

7. brianrock profile image88
    brianrockposted 5 years ago

It depends on the kind of mistake.

In one of my hubs, I made a factual mistake about an obscure political situation. I had thoroughly researched the rest of the article, but I made one assumption that I didn't bother to dive into. A commenter pointed out that mistake, and I was glad he did. I learned something, and I updated the hub with the new information (and a thank you to the commenter).

I would not be so happy about comments that pertained to my writing style or pointed out stylistic errors, though. The comment section, to me, is for a substantive discussion of the subject of the hub - not for a discussion of writing.

8. iskhoso profile image60
    iskhosoposted 3 years ago

From birth till death, process of learning is continued. During course of time various mistakes, omissions and shortfalls are expected. Positive critique on such omissions must be welcomed if the critique is submitted in descent manner.

working