jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What is the worst award-winning novel that you have ever read?

1. A. Riter profile image74
    A. Riterposted 5 years ago

What is the worst award-winning novel that you have ever read?

Can prestigious literary awards be trusted to point you in the direction of a good read? Or is it just hype to sell copies? Share your views here.

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Neither, it is just, like the OSCARS, etc, just a bunch of luvvies trying to out pretentious each other with their waffle.

1. MickS profile image71
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Forgot to say that I never go out of my way pick novels that have won awards, and I have never chosen a book to read that I haven't enjoyed.

3. profile image0
    Sam Gurschickposted 5 years ago

A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini.

I just couldn't get into it, probably because it was assigned reading in one of my college Lit classes.

4. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image85
    LastRoseofSummer2posted 5 years ago

"The Forsyte Saga" by John Galsworthy (1867-1933). I'm probably going back a bit further than you had intended, but I don't see how this thing won a Nobel Prize. - I shouldn't say that: It probably won a Nobel Prize because it was the world's first soap opera: He marries Her, but She sleeps with Him, and one woman steals another woman's man, but somehow we all manage to get over it and have no hard feelings by the end. Sorry but, Nobel Prize or not, I need something with a little more depth.

I should also note that I do not use awards and prizes to gauge what I read. But if something is given a world-class award, I think it should be just that: world-class.

working