Does using a photo of a book cover infringe the copyright of the author/publishi

1. ketage profile image80
    ketageposted 5 years ago

Does using a photo of a book cover infringe the copyright of the author/publishing house ?

I would like to write a few reviews of some books I read, and would like to know is putting up the photos of the books I am writing about breaking any laws. I searched the net, but seem to get conflicting answers, does anyone know for sure if its legal.

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Yes, because the author/publishing house had to pay a licence fee to use the artwork, to the creator or copyright owner of the art work.  It also infringes the rights of the artwork creator or copyright holder in the same way that if someone took a wodge of your text, copied and published it, would infringe your copyright.
    Writing reviews is a different matter and is covered by fair usage, where it is permitted to use small sections of text for review purposes, probably the book cover will also be covered, the best bet is to get profesional advice, copyright law is a minefield.

working