What are the rules for using cover art in a book review on Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Rose Anne Karesh profile image69
    Rose Anne Kareshposted 11 years ago

What are the rules for using cover art in a book review on Hubpages?

I believe cover art is copyrighted material, but is there a way to use it on Hubpages if you are reviewing the book? It would help readers identify the book in question.

2. Dr. Haddox profile image61
    Dr. Haddoxposted 11 years ago

I too, tend to believe that cover art is copyrighted. It makes sense that it would be. However, it is worth the time and effort to get permission, if need be, to use the cover art of a book that you want to write a hub about, because you are simply helping to promote the work and produce of another author, which is a good thing. You are not "stealing," for the lack of a better work, the work of another.
    Good luck.
    Regards,
    Dr. Haddox

3. coleikerd profile image80
    coleikerdposted 11 years ago

Creative answer: Create an ad link for the book on your article.

I agree the cover art is copyrighted. But if you link to the book you are reviewing, It should use the picture for your hub, and I believe that covers you since you are creating an authorized link to the sales of the book.

But feel free to consult a lawyer. I of course, cannot be held accountable for your choice. smile

1. wqaindia profile image36
      wqaindiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have similar opinion as law of natural justice also sees logic and reason behind the intention.

2. coleikerd profile image80
      coleikerdposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I agree. There are certain reasonable limits you can set. It seems to me it's unreasonable to expect your media to be on the internet, yet have no one link an image.

3. Rose Anne Karesh profile image69
      Rose Anne Kareshposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, this seems to be the most commonly suggested solution. I appreciate the idea!

4. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 11 years ago

I'm a bookseller. Along with virtually every other internet bookseller we reproduce cover art of books for sale many times a day. I've never heard of one book seller even being asked to cease and desist, let alone face prosecution.

I think it is covered by the "fair use" element of the copyright laws.

1. Rose Anne Karesh profile image69

Thank you!

5. theluckywriter profile image69
    theluckywriterposted 11 years ago

Using covers of books and movies if you're writing a genuine review is considered fair use.

6. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years ago

I just try to credit the source I got it from.  It's promotion for the book.  Can't imagine anyone would complain.  Please!  Review my books and you are welcome - in fact would you please - to use the bookcover.  Free advertising and an endorsement (hopefully) rolled into one!

7. SidKemp profile image84
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

HubPages has never released an official statement on this that I know of. However, Wikimedia commons has (and for movie posters as well), and I go with this. A low-resolution image of a book cover or poster that identifies the object being reviewed is fair use, as long as it cannot be taken and copied and used for a pirate purpose. Credit, as best you can, not your immediate source, but the copyright holder. You may find that on the back of the cover page of the book. If not, best to credit the publisher. It can be good to say, "used in low resolution under fair use copyright rules for identification purposes."

1. Daisy Mariposa profile image71
      Daisy Mariposaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sid, your answer is perfect!

2. SidKemp profile image84
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Daisy!

3. Rose Anne Karesh profile image69

Thanks so much, I appreciate the feedback.

8. Sapper profile image63
    Sapperposted 11 years ago

It might be under copyright, but whenever I write reviews on books or products alike, I use images anyways. Nobody with half a brain will complain about you using their image to promote their product/book. If they do, it probably wasn't worth promoting in the first place.

9. heidithorne profile image91
    heidithorneposted 11 years ago

Using an Amazon Capsule can also drop the book cover into your review with the link to where your readers can buy on Amazon. That helps you with the cover art issue AND helps the author and publisher well more books.

10. viveresperando profile image64
    viveresperandoposted 11 years ago

I reviewed an eBook where I asked the author if I could get an image of her book to add to my hub.  She declined stating it was copyrighted.  I respected her wishes.  Great book though! smile  I glad you asked this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)