jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you read young adult literature as an adult and if so, what is the appeal?

1. lmarsh1203 profile image61
    lmarsh1203posted 5 years ago

Do you read young adult literature as an adult and if so, what is the appeal?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I do and thoroughly enjoy it. What I love about it is generally it is unencumbered by more adult emotions. It seems every romance or adventure novel these days has graphic sex scenes throughout and sometimes it interferes with a good story.

Young adult literature is usually free of all that crap and makes for good reading.

3. khmazz profile image84
    khmazzposted 5 years ago

I agree with duffsmom...I love a good story, if it happens for be rated YA then so be it...The Hunger Games and Harry Potter are to this day some of my favorite things that I have read and I read all 10 of those books after my 21st birthday. smile

4. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

I still enjoy reading YA novels as an adult. Sometimes its just because the author is a great writer. A story told well will transcend its genre trappings. And other times its because the book brings me back to a time when I was younger when magic and adventure were the top priorities. We all remember what it was like to be a kid, so I think it's very natural for adults to gravitate towards YA fiction, or anything else they may have enjoyed as children.

5. Angela Carling profile image60
    Angela Carlingposted 4 years ago

I don't just read YA, I also write it! I think it is such a hopeful time in life and it is a lot of fun to both read and write about. I also like to write cleaner books and this genre lets me have compelling storylines without all the heavy sex stuff:)

working