Why Should We Read Literature in the Mechanised World?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. anupma profile image68
    anupmaposted 12 years ago

We are living in 21st century that is known as technical century. Everything has become mechanised in this age.. Emotions, feelings, love and affection has lost their values. It is the era of machines, then what is the need of reading literature in this mechanised world? While literature is usually full of emotions and feelings...
    This is what I want to know and discuss here. Naturally I want too your opiions that you people are agree with me or not?
    It is said that literature is the miror of society. It expresses what it sees around it. A literary person write nothing but his experiences. He/She shares her personal and impersonal experiences with the readers. So through literature we come to know about the social, psychological, economical and political condition of that century. So if we are interseted in knowing about the society, then we must go through the books that are written in that age.
    Literature's main aim is to teach, i mean to guide its readers. Although its other principle aim is to entertain as well. But through other experiences we can learn what should we do in what condition? It reveals that in this condition it can happen. In fact it broadens our outlook. Our mind becomes open. This is the second reason why should we read literature.
    The third main aim is for entertainment. When we involve ourselves in reading books, we forget ourselves and start living character's life. Its entertainment is completely of other types.. that can only be felt, not can define in words.
    It arouses feelings and emotions in ourselves. Nemesis (poetic justice) is an important aspect of literature. So it states that we will certainly get the result of our works. So be aware of your works and do what, what is really good.. Avoid bad deeds.
    There are many more reasons for reading literature in this modern world. These are only a few reasons that come in my mind while writing this hub. You can tell me other reasons as well whethre in support or against.

2. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 12 years ago

It's not the mechanized world that makes reading literature, seem so primitive but movies of books, plays, and history.

Why read it when you can watch a movie about in about 2 hours.

There are many movies , from Shakespear to Homer.

And then there are entertainment movies from Harry Potter to Jackie Collins.

I like to read books I do indeed feel as if I am right there with the characters as they live their lives in the pages of the book.  I have been to a Texas ranch, I have seen vampires and werewolves, I have seen the London fog and felt the cold colorado winters.

I have watched murders get solved and seen friends become lovers, all from my nook. A smart little contraption that delivers many books to me and thus many adventures.

So of course we must read literature of all kinds.  And this is the best time in history, we have information at our fingertips, we can download books all day long on a mechanical device. And we can look up almost anything we want from the internet and gain instant knowledge.

All in all I love reading and love this mechanized world that makes it even easier to make it possible to get almost any book I want.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have never found the movie to be anything like as satisfying as reading the original book. Even in the rare cases that the story is followed more or less faithfully, most of the subtlety is lost. I also find that the pictures forming in my head when I read the book rarely match what I see in the movie. 

Although I have read things on my phone (Dell Streak 5 so quite a big screen) and on my laptop, I find on-screen reading frustrating. It is not possible to leaf back and forwards quickly to check back on something. Batteries run out at inconvenient times, and anyway I like having the weight of the book and feel of the paper as part of the reading experience.

The two things I will grant importance in the modern world are the fact that I can get glasses to help me read on as the decades pass and that I have a source of bright light whenever required.

2. anupma profile image68
      anupmaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ya, u r absolutely right. Movie can not have the same emotions and feelings as the book has. I cannot involve myself when I am seeing a movie. While I am reading a book I start to live the life of character.... So I think reading is better to feel in between the lines..

1. profile image0
        andycoolposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The difference between reading books and watching movies is that in case of the former you have time to communicate with a character and identify yourself with it by getting deeply involved with the character... you take rest and find time to be emotionally engrossed in the character. Eventually you find yourself lost in that particular character... or we may call it protagonist.

This is not possible in watching a movie... you don't have the time to communicate with the protagonist; so you can never become the soul of the character. Movie has far less emotional effect on human mind... movie generally stimulates our mind for a much shorter period of time.

This is why I think literature is a superior art form to movies. smile

Very true..........

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Emotions, feelings, love and affection have not lost their value. At least not to me.

But I do agree that it is important that people read literature. There is nothing more satisfying than losing yourself in a novel.

Of course, reading is a better option to feel the pulse of the writer.

4. makusr profile image61
    makusrposted 12 years ago

Mechanized world should not be confused with your self. Machines are tools for doing things. They ease our way. Emotions on the other hand are your true nature. The emotions describe you and chart your path forward. Literature is communication. Man being a social animal is incomplete without reaching out to others. Literature is the effective tool for that. Literature expands our horizon and bring out our inner self.
    Machines deal with how you do things.
    Literature deals with why you do a thing.

U differentiate two terms very clearly. But I think, somewhere they overlap each other. As literature is the mirror of society and the writer writes what he sees around himself, so both will reciprocate each other.....

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I am clearly not living in the same world that you are. I see emotions, relationships and bookstores all around me.  I continue to read for the simple reason that I want to. Honestly, you sound a little depressed.  People today are basically the same as people have been for thousands of years.

Change is the law of nature. We have to change with the time. I am writing what I am seeing around myself. I am not depressed at all. My dear, I am sorry to say, U r completely wrong here, I mean predicting this. Anyways I think Literature is not read just because I want to finish it, It is read because I want to feel the pulse of that age, of that writer or the characters of works. Literature is not like a simple book that we have to finish because we want to increase the list f our reading books. Hope u r getting me.
      And last thing, my question is not saying that we should not read literature, it just want to make people realise that why should we read literature............. Hope u r getting me and clear to what I want to say.

6. anupma profile image68
    anupmaposted 12 years ago

Ya, u r absolutely right. Reading book and seeing a movie is quite different thing

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)