jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

It is critical as an author, to keep your readers attention. Does length make re

1. tfox62@yahoo.com profile image73
    tfox62@yahoo.composted 4 years ago

It is critical as an author, to keep your readers attention. Does length make readers, look away.

You never want to lose a reader, regardless of the information. You want to draw them in, and keep them interested. But sometimes an article can be excessively long, and there by, loose readers. Do you, turn away from an article with lots of information? If so what are some ways to make a article shorter. What are some ways to keep your reader, wanting to read the next part?

2. TNT Husky profile image67
    TNT Huskyposted 4 years ago

I don't think so. some of the more simple minded people, yes, but I think what makes readers look away is the topic. if the topic doesn't interest them, they likely won't continue. Like with games and movies. your first impression is the title, ordinarily because that's the first thing you see in regards to the movie. Impressions are the key to people enjoying your hubs. you have to leave the appropriate impression. the same can be said of many different medias, but reading and writing is a prime example of how a reader's impression affects their desire to read toe piece. At least, that's what I've experienced so far. I could be wrong.

3. hmclio profile image81
    hmclioposted 4 years ago

I don't think it's so much a problem of length but of how well-written it is. Bad punctuation, for example, is a turn off for me, as are excessive grammar and spelling mistakes. Length has nothing to do with it, because if it is written well and interesting, I will read it regardless of the length. You also have to keep in mind the audience you are catering to. If it is interesting and pertains to the reader's interests, then length will have little to do with holding their attention.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

There is a meme out there based around the concept of "TL;DR" or "Too long; didn't read". Whether we want to admit it or not, most of us don't want to commit to something that looks daunting. Whether it's a thick book, a long movie, or a dense article, a lot of us will turn away without having read any of it. The best advice I can give for articles is to break them up into digestible chunks. This can be done by inserting image breaks, advertisements and headers. Make each paragraph look easy to read and your viewers wont even realize they're reading a longer article.

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image82
    LoisRyan13903posted 4 years ago

Sometimes the reader want to look for something that it light whether it is a book or an article.  In my case I read Stephen King's book The Stand and that was over 1,000 pages.  The first time I tried it I was too over whelemed and I only had a week to read it and knew I woldn't be able to.  I did read it later on and it did take a while, but I don't regret it.  It was very well-written and it held my attention throughout the whole book.  I read this book on my tablet so I wasn't too focused on what page I was one and it seems that I can read a book faster that way

working