jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Creating a story from a secondary character?

1. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 4 years ago

Creating a story from a secondary character?

I've got two if not three story ideas running about in my head. One is already mostly written at 74,000 words, but suddenly I've got a story for the secondary character in this one....a completely seperate story...would you make it slightly different - eg so the stories don't actually interconnect, or continue with a secondary characters story in it's own novel?

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 4 years ago

My tendency would be to include some interconnection, but either way is doable.  It depends on what feels "right", or at least that's the way it works for me.  There's certainly no hard and fast rule about it.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

If the secondary character's story doesn't contribute to the main character's narrative, then it probably shouldn't be in the same novel. Kind of like if we follow John's journey as he loses his job and his wife, it doesn't make much sense to suddenly jump to Bill's story about becoming a race car driver. The stories are seemingly unrelated. However, if Bill is the reason John lost his job or wife, then it should be included in the same novel. Or, if Bill's life is meant to be held up as a contrast to John's, then you could work it from that angle. But if they don't lend something to each others stories, then they should probably be separate novels.

4. MPChris profile image78
    MPChrisposted 4 years ago

First, complete your novel. Then, write a short story, novella, or even a second novel considering the other idea. But the big thing is completion at this point.