jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

It there anyone who uses HubPages as their portfolio to get freelance writing wo

1. helene_c profile image68
    helene_cposted 4 years ago

It there anyone who uses HubPages as their portfolio to get freelance writing work?

I would like to start applying for freelance writing jobs and I believe I need a portfolio of work to demonstrate my writing skills. Does anyone use HubPages for this purpose? Or a personal web page? I am interested in hearing back from people who have success writing online, and also anyone else with a helpful opinion.

2. Eva Berlin profile image80
    Eva Berlinposted 4 years ago

Yes, I do.
    It's easier that way as your writings are under one roof. And Hubpages has a clean layout that makes it look professional.

helene_cposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi Eva, yes I agree the Hubpages layout presents articles very well. Thanks for your response.

3. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 4 years ago

actually, that's why I started writing more on Hub Pages, to use it as a portfolio. I didn't go to school for writing because I felt like it was a bunch of money for a piece of paper saying I can do something that I could do before I went to school, and I haven't had an "proper" writing jobs, so my resume is pretty bleak. However, showing that I can write and I do write regularly is a bonus, which is why Hubpages has been quite fitting for me. Good luck on the freelance jobs! smile

Hi ThompsonPen. I've had a quick look through your profile and you have some very interesting articles. I like the way that you group hubs under one head topic. Thanks for your comment

4. Krista Schnee profile image79
    Krista Schneeposted 4 years ago

That is the reason I started writing under HubPages. I am hoping that it will lead to paid work. It is convenient to provide someone with one link--the link to my profile--rather than several links.

Hi Krista - yes that is my motivation for using Hubpages as a portfolio showcase - ie to have sample articles all under the one place to showcase the breadth of my writing skills. Thanks for your comment!

5. angryelf profile image93
    angryelfposted 4 years ago

You know, I haven't. But, hubpages WOULD be an amazing place to do so now that you bring it up. Plus, the higher rank of this site VS your own as a portfolio is more likely to get you noticed I would think. Good luck smile

Thanks angryelf - yeah I had this thought on a whim and wondered if anyone else use Hubpages this way. I think the next step is to work on my profile too so that I actually say that I am looking for freelance work. Thanks for your comment!

2. angryelf profile image93
      angryelfposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Definitely! And there is positively no harm whatsoever in using multiple platforms and interlinking them. That equals link juice and a larger web to capture interested leads. As a writer, you have to mark some territory EVERYWHERE smile

6. lawdoctorlee profile image87
    lawdoctorleeposted 3 years ago

Helen-c, I wish I saw this post earlier.  But yes, I have used HubPages in numerous ways as a portfolio, on my resume, in cover letters, and on my CV. On a resume, I described my freelance writing on HubPages in the experience section or, alternatively, in the skills section. On my CV, I listed the relevant hubs by titled under the "publications" section.  It helped me earn several academic publishing deals.

However, there are many things to consider. First and foremost, listing your experience on HubPages on your resume should be relevant to the position you are seeking. Next, consider the quality of your hubs and the totality of the work on HubPages. HubPages can be listed in the experience, skills, activities, hobbies, and interest sections of a resume. Pick the one section where it will be most valuable.

Today I posted a hub entitled "How To List HubPages on Your Resume or CV." You may find it useful.

working