jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How do you prep for writing?

1. MrsGray32 profile image60
    MrsGray32posted 4 years ago

How do you prep for writing?

I have a hard time taking what's in my mind and putting it into a piece worth reading and, or sharing for that matter.  What are some ways that help you focus your thoughts and let them lead the way so to say.

2. Laura Schneider profile image92
    Laura Schneiderposted 4 years ago

Actually, I've been a full-time professional writer for over 20 years and I take the opposite approach: I DON'T focus my thoughts and DON'T let them "lead the way".

I guess I write kind of like a quilter or scrap booker: I get all the pieces on the table in whatever shape they're in and then organize them into coherent thoughts from there, adding or removing bits and pieces as necessary to create a finished piece.

Perhaps simply putting your thoughts down in random paragraphs, pictures, and videos and then organizing them into something good would work for you, too. It might be worth a try!

3. LisaKoski profile image95
    LisaKoskiposted 4 years ago

Sometimes just writing everything out helps me. One of the worst things that can happen to a writer is letting your head get in the way of what you want to write. I do this almost all the time. If you think too much about about what you want to write, it's really hard to get over that mental block and get those ideas on paper and ready to share. Sometimes I'm stuck because I'm over-thinking what I want to write, other times it's because there's personal stuff outside of writing that's distracting me.

Sitting down and just letting go and typing whatever nonsense comes to mind really helps me loosen up when I feel stuck. Even if it's stuff that has nothing to do with what I actually want to write. Just open up a word document or grab a blank sheet of paper and let out whatever's on your mind so you can clear it up and get working on the project you want to work on.

This is what I used to do in school when I had a big paper to write. So many times I would get stuck sitting there staring at my cursor thinking "I know what I want to say but I don't know how to say it." Just letting out everything else that was on my mind seemed to help free my thoughts and enable me to focus and actually write what I wanted to. I'm not sure if this makes any sense but I hope it helps!

4. Cardisa profile image92
    Cardisaposted 4 years ago

When you have bit of information in your mind (like you mentioned) it's best to jot them down. This way after you have all the information you need you can organize that information.

I find that if I try to focus my thoughts at this point I tend to lose some of the bits and pieces.

Organizing my writing all depends on what I am writing. If I am working on a novel this is my sequence:

- jot down my concept/idea
    - work out the plot
    - create the characters
    - outline each chapter
    - build each chapter

For articles I outline the different points which I want to put across to my readers using the basic: why, what, how, where, when. For example:-
    -answering the question of "what is?"
    -elaborating on why it is
    -expanding on how it is
    -conclusion (summarizing)

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Awesome answer!

working