jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Any advice on book writing?

1. Jykeith Comal profile image64
    Jykeith Comalposted 3 years ago

Any advice on book writing?

2. struisje profile image78
    struisjeposted 3 years ago

I'm not a writer myself but I'm currently writing my first book about aquaponics. I purchased a piece of software called "Scrivener". You should check that out. It helps you stay organized and makes it easy to keep track of all your research.

3. R. Anderson profile image86
    R. Andersonposted 3 years ago

Hi Jykeith, I have written a few articles and short stories (nothing published as far as books though).

Your question is too broad. I could give you so much advice on writing that would probably overwhelm you, and I'm not even a professional writer.

Without a more specific question there is only a little advice I can give.

- Write your book in a place you are comfortable, maybe where it's quiet.
    - Don't try to write when you are distracted.
    - Write when you are having a really good day or a really bad day. helps with being creative and motivated to write.
    - Make sure to get enough sleep and food, thinking takes a lot of energy.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

Don't be afraid to write crap. Sometimes, during first drafts and revisions, we let the weight of opinions bog us down. We don't put any words on the page because they HAVE to be perfect. But the truth is; a page filled with crap is superior to a blank page. Get something down, anything, because you can always revise it later. Don't let anyone else get into your head during the writing process. It's just you and what you want to see happen. Never write with a market in mind, always write for yourself.

5. Kat Schuessler profile image61
    Kat Schuesslerposted 3 years ago

Just write. That's all I can say. And keep track of word count, it make is all go faster. I recommend that you download the free app Writeometer.