jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How often are you inclined to read a book which has the same name and story as a

1. shahkar-khan profile image60
    shahkar-khanposted 4 years ago

How often are you inclined to read a book which has the same name and story as a movie?

I often watch movies after reading a book by the same name (e.g I watched borne ultimatum after reading the book with the same name), but I feel less inclined to read a book when I have (already) watched a movie by the same name. Maybe this is because movies are more explanatory than books.
    Anyways what ever the case is, I just wanted your opinions on this. Do you guys feel the same?

2. DATALOAD profile image60
    DATALOADposted 4 years ago

I definitely feel the same way. Part of the experience of a book is letting your mind create the scene. When you've already seen the movie it's hard not to think of those characters playing the role.

Lord of the Rings is a great example for me. Anytime I see the name Frodo I think of Elijah Wood. Although he's great in the series, it takes a little charm out of the book.

1. shahkar-khan profile image60
      shahkar-khanposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Here is an advice that will surely excite a bookaholic. "Whenever you are awaiting for a movie about to release (say one month later), search out whether a book of the same name exists. If it does, buy tht book and read it before watching that movie"

3. Sunny River profile image60
    Sunny Riverposted 4 years ago

In general I feel the same, however for me there are a few exceptions. For example, some of the classics such as Emma, I had no interest in reading until after I watched the movie. Not because I dislike classics. Jane Eyre is one of my favorites and I read it years before I saw the movie, but for certain classics it makes the book easier to understand and follow if I've already been over the plot once in the movie. smile

4. profile image0
    Meraki-Sanposted 4 years ago

I think for me, it's the other way around. I watched the Lord of the Rings before I read the books and I gained a better understanding of the characters, of the history of the world and it deepened my love for it.

I seem to hate a movie if I've first read the book for example: Twilight. I read it and had preconceived ideas of how characters were going to look and all that and when I actually saw the movies, was really put off. By that time, my dislike for Twilight had grown tremendously so..no lost sleep there.