This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

How private is our privacy?

1. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

How private is our privacy?

1) When you sign up for a store card, most places have a disclaimer which states the store respects your privacy and your information will be kept confidential. 
    2) What about when you go to a hospital?
    Recently, in both situations, my privacy was not respected.
    What are your experiences? 
    Do you have the same name as someone who you are friends with and instead of going by your identification, these places go by your name without regard to your street address or any other information?
    I received a hospital bill for someone who has a sister with the same name.  Imagine that!

2. Faith Reaper profile image88
    Faith Reaperposted 4 years ago

Yes, I have had several occasions when my privacy was violated.  I have a common last name, but my first name is not that common, so I thought, but believe it or not, every single doctor I have, all have one or two patients with the exact same name, first and last.  The only way I even found out, was one time when my OBGYN asked me, while looking at the file in front of him, years ago (now, I am glad he asked, for I never would have thought ...) if he was the one who performed my hysterectomy!  After I put my eyeballs back into my sockets, I told him I never had such!!!  He asked me, was my name so and so, and I responded, yes, but unless he was a magician and did such without my knowing, I never had such!  Then he asked me for my date of birth, and alas realized he had another patient's file!  I found out, he actually had two other patients with the exact same name, and even the name middle initial!  Since that day, I ask each doctor if they have MY file and I double-check the information they have to be sure!  Wow, what if he would have prescribed some medication or decide to do some sort of medical procedure by looking at the wrong file.  I even found out that there are five other persons working in the same field as I do with the same name.  Yikes, and my name is not even that common, at least I did not think it was, so those who have very common names, well, really all, need to make sure to check in all areas of one's life, especially on one's credit report with all three major credit bureaus.

CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I don't have a common last name.  My first name is sort of common.  Most recently my personal info was given out to someone who applied at the grocery store where I shop.  They have the same name.  The store didn't check the ID.

2. Faith Reaper profile image88
      Faith Reaperposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh, my purse was stolen once and the person who took it back then from underneath my desk at work, and actually cashed my paycheck at a store using my social security card for ID, and the store called me, because I had a stop payment put on it.

3. CraftytotheCore profile image82

Oh, that's terrible. I'm so glad the grocery store called!  I received a hospital bill several months ago in someone else's name entirely because their sister's name is the same as mine.  I had to fight for 2 months to get it cleared.

4. Faith Reaper profile image88
      Faith Reaperposted 4 years agoin reply to this

My goodness, what an ordeal to go on for two months!  Yes, I told the store that they should have gotten photo ID, and they said, they sure did sign my name just like on my social!  I never carry my social any longer!!!

3. jellygator profile image91
    jellygatorposted 4 years ago

Privacy? I don't think there is such a thing any more.

Even if you normally "opt out" of sharing your information, you don't always get a chance to. There is *so* much information available about anyone available if only a person knows how to go about getting it.

It's really a scary thing.  I think about the places I once worked.  My info is still out there.  Thank you so much for answering!

4. BlocksNGuns profile image84
    BlocksNGunsposted 4 years ago

The truth is that you will never have 100% privacy when doing something online. I can't judge things like going to the hospital, but I know for sure that IF the government wants to check on you, they can do so. They can see what you search for and download (not yet speaking of illegal hackers).

5. DDE profile image25
    DDEposted 4 years ago

I haven't experienced such issues but for those who do and yourself as mentioned I think it is totally wrong for your information to be disclosed.

working