jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

If I begin to charge for my editing services, how much should I charge?

1. kereeves3 profile image80
    kereeves3posted 3 years ago

If I begin to charge for my editing services, how much should I charge?

I have edited essays, contracts, and simple papers for my friends and family for years now, and I have just registered with Thumbtack.com.  I have received an editing request, but I'm not confident about how much I should charge per word or per page.  Any suggestions?

2. spartucusjones profile image95
    spartucusjonesposted 3 years ago

Unfortunately, I can't really provide you with a concrete answer, but a lot will have to do with how much you want to make per hour. For example, with content writing I generally aim for at least $25 an hour. When I price an assignment or agree to accept an assignment I try to calculate how long it will take me. That being said, for writing assignments I try to aim for at least 5 cents a word which for me would generally work out $25-$50 an hour. I might accept less per word if it is a subject that would require minimum research. I also might decline an assignment at that price if I feel that I lack the ability to produce quality work quickly.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I don't know what the going rate is, but I would recommend starting on the lower end of that. Once you build up some experience, that you can reference, then you can start to increase the price. First, just focus on putting yourself out there and getting noticed as a reliable editor.

4. Douglas Owen profile image61
    Douglas Owenposted 3 years ago

Editing services are usually charged per word based on the experience of the editor.

New editors with no or very little on their brag sheet - $0.005 a word.
    New editors with some examples on their brag sheet - $0.01 a word.
    Editors with good examples on their brag sheet - $0.05 a word.

This will also depend on what type of editing you supply. If it is just spelling/grammar, reduce your price accordingly. If you do full line edits and story continuity, increase by a factor of 50%.