jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Advice on the memoir I am writing

1. Natasha Sackett profile image60
    Natasha Sackettposted 3 years ago

Advice on the memoir I am writing

I am writing a memoir about a terrible car accident that landed me in the hospital with serious injuries. The book then goes on to talk about life with a severe traumatic brain injury. Should I end the book at my obtaining an Associate’s Degree or should I go on and also talk about job life and my obtaining my bachelor's degree that will happen in 2016? Or should it be two separate books?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

It depends on how much information you include about your life prior to the accident. For instance if you were in the middle of planning something, dating, or whatever and had your whole life planned out and then "suddenly" it came to a screeching halt!
    You'd detail the gradual struggles that ensued and how it affected your relationships with friends, family, and significant others, a feeling a despair, and then finding a reason to make the most of what you have....etc Something like that might end nicely showing you obtaining your Associate's degree.
    On the other hand you may start off with the actual day of the accident. "It was like any other day...I was heading over to blah blah, thinking about such and such....when all of a sudden.
    In other instances people have started with opening up their eyes and realizing that they're in a hospital and then going back to sharing how their life was and the goals and dreams they had, their gradual acceptance that life will never be the same, depression, and silent tears when no one was around, friendships cultivated with a physical therapist as one begins a new journey. The book could end with simply returning home with friends and family coming by to see you.
    The degree can be seen as your major accomplishment but deciding not to give up on life and expressing gratitude for being able to see another sunrise, birds in the trees, colorful flowers, and feeling a gentle breeze  of wind kissing your cheek...etc
    "Today is just one page in one chapter of your book of life. Always have the courage to turn to the next page." Best wishes!

Natasha Sackettposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I start in August when I first started college. Accident happened in October. Then my time at the hospital, what I am told happened, and then it goes more like a journal talking about things that happened and my experiences living with a severe TBI.

3. manatita44 profile image82
    manatita44posted 3 years ago

A lot there. It is the kind of book that I will end with life lessons. A summary of my journey and what I learned along the way. Did you cover some of this aspect? Adversity teaches us and it would be a shame not to show some appreciation for where you were and where you have arrived. What have you learnt?

The focus seems to be on the Degree and if this is the measure of your writing, then it will make sense to summarise that way. Let it relate to what you write. Still, my first paragragh is how I would approach this, providing of course, that the book contains some experiences along those lines. What do you say? Much peace.

Natasha Sackettposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I talk about what happened to me, what I learned, how I grew, etc.. I think ending the first book at the AA obtainment is good since it the first major achievement aside from surviving that I have and it shows that I never gave up.

2. manatita44 profile image82
      manatita44posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, sounds good. But show what led up to your indomitable will, what gave you the strength and sense of purpose. Use a few 'Never give up! quotations, and show that practically all can be done if the God-touch is there. This will help others.

working