jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the most life-changing book you've ever read?

1. Kelsey Farrell profile image82
    Kelsey Farrellposted 2 years ago

What is the most life-changing book you've ever read?

I'm not looking for your favorite book (unless of course it happens to be your favorite, too), I'm interested in what book has affected you the most. Good, bad, both--I want to know it all!

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image81
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years ago

"The Five People You Meet in Heaven"

It is a small book but it opened up a lot of big questions for me.  It made me think about people in my life and in my history for the first time and in deeper ways.  I never knew my maternal grandmother who died when my mom was only 9, but because of her impact on my mother, she is someone who has had a significant impact on me.  I'll get to know her.   My father was a manic depressive alcoholic, but in heaven I'll know him as a healthy father - for the first time.  This book gave me hope about some parts of my life I had, sadly, written off.

3. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

Kelsey......So, you want to "know it all," eh?   OK.  No problem.  There's really not a whole lot to say anyway.  I'm not quite sure it changed my entire life, but it surely changed my particular attitude of a specific aspect in my life.  Just a small, little-marketed, "Spiritual fable," so to speak....."God on a Harley," by Joan Brady.

It was recommended to me by an associate, who through no fault of my own, had an uncanny grasp on my innermost self.  Apparently he felt this book would impress me in profound ways.   That turned out to be an understatement.

Much unlike myself, I bought the book this same day and had devoured it by the next.  Feeling rather stunned and a bit confused, I started with page one immediately there after and read it's entirety once again.

I can tell you in all candidness, at the close of that second read, I was not the same woman who had bought this little book just the day before.
    My outlook was brighter, my heart was lighter and I felt a unique sense of joy and peace I vaguely recalled from my innocent youth.

My first copy of this book went through the hands of every woman I could possibly hand it off to....even some who weren't interested.  I literally demanded that they read it...in a jovial sort of way.   

By the time it found it's way back to me, at least a year later, it was beyond worn & wrinkled.  So of course I bought another.......and another.  I pick it up still today......15 years after first reading it....and thumb through the pages to some of the most touching lessons.  It makes me feel at peace and it comforts me while it strengthens my resolve.

I will only divulge one more thing to you, Kelsey.  I will repeat to you the same things I've said to every person I lent this book.   I can't really put it into words.  I simply believe you will discover the magic yourself.  Read it.  Thus far, reactions have all been positive....wonderful....enlightening and it's too bad I wasn't receiving a percentage of the sales, because nearly everyone who read my copy, HAD to buy their own!

You asked.....I answered.   Thanks for the opportunity!...Peace, Paula

4. profile image0
    Anastasia Rokinaposted 2 years ago

To be quite honest, I don't feel any 'one' book can have such an effect. I have read numerous books that have each influenced my perspectives -- all in different ways.

Some books teach you about one thing, while others open your eyes to something completely different. The 'one book' is Life itself smile