jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you come up with ideas for new articles?

1. Kara Skinner profile image85
    Kara Skinnerposted 2 years ago

How do you come up with ideas for new articles?

Recently I've been stuck in a rut when it comes to writing. I want to write but I'm not sure what to really write about. So how do you decide what to write about?

2. Chriswillman90 profile image97
    Chriswillman90posted 2 years ago

For me it just pops out of nowhere, and I use my surroundings to my advantage. It doesn't necessarily mean they are good ideas, but at least it gives me something to write about.

I also read a lot and use that as inspiration sometimes. I may use someone's idea and generate my personal take on it or go off in a complete difficult direction on the topic.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

Sometimes it has to do with current events, reading Q&A in HP, or having a different opinion than another writer on a given subject.
    Most of my writings have to do with relationship issues. It's never too hard for me to find a question, article, or comment that stimulates me to write. It then becomes a matter of which site do I post it on.

4. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Great Question. My last published hub was June. I am seeking 'what' to write about today too. My focus for my search has been trying to discover through exploration a 'Niche Topic' for a Hub Group of hubs. Traditionally the hubs I produced were not real traffic builders beyond the Hubpage community market or with social media. I really do not try to promote them beyond the initial posting.

However, that does not answer your question :-) To be honest I write everyday sometimes for hours naturally in my PC. Then I seek editing them for quality and length. 'What' I write about generally is what jumps out at me or a continuation of something that did or a different take on it.

What jumps out at me comes from a practice of making a list. I wrote about it at one of my hubs. What I do is I choose any topic even if it is 'Why am I happy', 'I love the rain' or 'Drag Racing is cool'. Then the first entry for the list is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Now, I enter as quickly as I can something about the topic in a word or more no longer than Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Keep it short.

Next, I walk away. Maybe poke my head outside and get a fresh breathe of air or some such as long as I wish. Eventually I go back and read my list. Sometimes the list itself is an article structure or parts of. Maybe one entry will spark a flame too. Then I (research) write with that as inspiration.

working