jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Should Admin monitor and control,any offerings here, for good English?

1. MarieLB profile image83
    MarieLBposted 2 years ago

Should Admin monitor and control,any offerings here, for good English?

I am happy to accommodate different styles, but I am finding that despite reading several questions and answers, I cannot join in, because it is difficult to decipher what those before me were trying to say.

We are writing on a site that is set up in English.  We purport to be writers of this English Language.  So it makes no sense to write in bad spelling and bad grammar to the point where the reader finds it difficult to make out.

More to the point, do you think that Admin should allow such bad writing on its site?

2. Medvekoma profile image81
    Medvekomaposted 2 years ago

I'm a free market enthusiast and it kind-of traverses to my attitude to HubPages and other forums.

While sometimes it's essential that an admin takes care of a sloppy post, from my short experience spent here I can guarantee you that badly written questions and answers receive far less attention than well-conceived ones. Which will in the end result in the 'bad ones' disappearing while the 'better' ones remain on the agenda for a long time.

Mind, I don't claim that if your question receives only one answer it's 'badly written'. But there must be a connection between traffic and question quality.

As for the bad grammar, it kind-of makes sense as there are numerous readers and writers on this site with English as second or third language (myself being one). Some of us may have reached a level where you are left unable to differentiate between natives and non-natives, but there'll always be those in the middle of the learning process.

MarieLBposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi Medvekoma, I so enjoyed reading your response; thank you. I do agree that the bad ones will eventually disappear, but  many writers are time poor, and I for one, prefer to read something amusing or educational.

3. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

I don't know with the social activities - Q&A and forums. The originator of a question can delete a comment. I would think that means at the same its replies too. I am not sure at the forums if the originator has that option, but know the comment and reply can be deleted by the one who posted it.

Perhaps there is an attitude the Q&A is informal and is aimed at social. I see regularly with replies anagrams used because of the limited space. That to me becomes tiring, but I don't text. So, I am not use to seeing that style to begin with that many do.

The only economical way the Q&A can be monitored I would think is with bots. That may be much more complex than one may think. It is not only 'deleting' at the question, but is deleting at the user profile too. I am not sure where the point of origin is. For instance I see my user name and avatar now when typing. Is that that key or is it the question with your user name and avatar. The program would have to be to monitor me and not the question as a best guess just like with a Hub. I can imagine the complexity.

You have given us much of your time with your thoughtful response Tim Mitchell, thank you. This sets such a low standard of writing.  Knowing the language should be the pre-requisite for any writer, surely!!

4. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 2 years ago

Actually, I agree, and there are many articles that are completely unreadable. I do my part (and so can you) by Hub Hopping. Here you weigh in on what others have written, and the results go to the authorities. HubPages doesn't want poor articles on the site either, as this reduces the legitimacy of the entire site.

How to Hub Hop: go to My Account | Hop Some Hubs. This is a button at the very top of the account page; it has a frog icon.

From HubPages: "Ratings of a Hub that are submitted through the Hub Hopper get factored into our Quality Assessment Process, which determines whether or not a Hub will be Featured on HubPages (Featured Hubs are highlighted on Topic Pages and Hubs, and made available to search engines).

Because various people may give very different ratings to the same Hub, we assess Hoppers’ accuracy and correct for their biases. For more information on how we do this, visit our FAQ entry on ensuring the Hub Hopper ratings are accurate."

Hi Faceless39, thank you for dropping by and for your practical, optimistic comments.  I have never given "hop some hubs" any thought, as I feel I have not yet reached a high enough standard of writing. I will however, read & think about it soon.

Closed to reply

working