How should ideologies and philosophies be handled in the dictionary?

1. RachaelLefler profile image97
    RachaelLeflerposted 10 months ago

How should ideologies and philosophies be handled in the dictionary?

A lot of argument I hear online goes like:
    >X-ists did Y unpleasant, immoral or illegal thing.
    >NO TRUE SCOTSMAN FALLACY: Other X-ists are quick to use the dictionary to say "They did Y but that is not in the definition of X-ism".
    > Well duh, of course that's always technically true, because for ideologies, philosophies, or causes, dictionary definitions are bare-bones descriptions that put everything in as basic, simplified, uncontroversial terms as possible. Violence is not in the actual dictionary definition of any given ideology.
    But how do we fix this problem with dictionary definitions?

2. brassworks profile image59
    brassworksposted 10 months ago

As a preface, I state that I invest little credibility to over 90 percent of the social media stuff I see online - most of it is driven by emotion, not critical thinking.

The dictionary should be left alone. It isn't wise to adjust the definitions of words in the dictionary to accommodate current popular cultural fads. The dictionary is already full of words that aptly apply to any situation.

Words mean things. Let's use them for what they mean. I don't want to have to acquire a separate dictionary for every person I meet, just so I can understand what they are talking about. Granted, this would be the extreme result of this idea, and it sounds cuckoo, but how much of today's world celebrates that exact level of idiocy running rampant today that, twenty years ago, we pooh-poohed as ridiculous and claimed wouldn't and couldn't ever happen?

When do we apply the brakes, if not today?

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. I have what most folks would call old-fashioned values, but I find integrity in sticking to them.  Not always easy, but that's the way I am.

working