jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)

Whose writing style do you admire?

1. Tatara profile image59
    Tataraposted 6 years ago

Mine is Ann Beattie's.

1. Greek One profile image79
      Greek Oneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Xaviera Hollander pulls a chord for me

1. pisean282311 profile image51
        pisean282311posted 6 years ago in reply to this

mine is greek one ...especially ability to debate with paar...

who's paar?

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

...sooooo...you're still into the old ladies I see.....she's an old bird now....i met her in Mexico....a sleepy little isolated fishing village she regularly 'haunts'......

ironic that she would linger in a place that smells of fish

2. rcrm89 profile image70
      rcrm89posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't read any fiction these days, but I particularly enjoy the way Malcolm Gladwell, Michael Lewis and Neil Strauss write.

2. Joy56 profile image61
    Joy56posted 6 years ago

Yes Greek One, i like him

3. Windsweptplains profile image81
    Windsweptplainsposted 6 years ago

Classic writers like Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Lucy Maud Montgomery, and Charles Dickens have influenced my writing in many ways. Their books are among my favorite novels of all time.

As far as modern writers go, Terry Goodkind and Stephen R. Lawhead are writers with a great impact on me. I love the way in which they choose to present their characters, it really draws me in as a reader.

Tataraposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I also like Charlotte Bronte and Charles Dickens(I especially like the first pages of Great Expectations).Vivid descriptions.

1. Windsweptplains profile image81
        Windsweptplainsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That is one of the things I love the most from their writing: vivid descriptions. It makes the story come to life when you can picture every detail in your mind.

4. Greek One profile image79
    Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

it all started and ended with War and Peace

1. TattooVirgin profile image60
      TattooVirginposted 6 years ago in reply to this

War and Peace is a great book!

Your should read;
      The little princess
      Little Women
      and Shakespeare... big_smile

I've dates little priceless and little women... many of whom have shaken my spear.

Isn't that enough smile

1. TattooVirgin profile image60
          TattooVirginposted 6 years ago in reply to this

big_smile

5. dingdondingdon profile image59
    dingdondingdonposted 6 years ago

I am a huge fan of Margaret Atwood's writing style. Every so often I come across a metaphor or a description in her writing that just makes me sit back in awe. For instance, from Cat's Eye after the death of her older brother the protagonist thinks:

"Now I will get older. And he will not."

It's just two simple sentences but I reread it and reread it because it evoked such intense feelings in me.

It's my best friend's favorite book. I remember she told me about it.Interesting:-)

6. TreeAndLeaf profile image61
    TreeAndLeafposted 6 years ago

To me, John Steinbeck is about the most skilled wordsmith to ever live.  I consider him to be one of the most talented writers I have ever read.
    I also enjoy Hemingway's dry, bare-bones prose.
    Some people might want to crucify me for this, but Jack London has a style all his own that is amazing in its own right.

I love Steinbeck's Chrysanthemums. I especially like the ending - subtle but strong.One of my favorite pieces from my Am.Lit. class.

1. PierAllegro profile image59
        PierAllegroposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I see most people love classics. That's good. Although that can also mean they stopped reading past their high school. I hope not. I love Cormac McCathy, J.M. Coetzee and Jose Saramago. I think they are re-inventing writing, or to say the least, they are shaping a new literary voice.

1. TreeAndLeaf profile image61
          TreeAndLeafposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's definitely not the case. My high school reading lists sadly didn't include any Steinbeck or Hemingway. That would have been great. Besides maybe a short story by Jack London, just a lot of Shakespeare and young adult lit that wasn't very memorable.
          (I agree with you, by the way. Cormac McCarthy is awesome.)

He's America's finest writer. The only reason he hasn't got the Nobel Prize is because he's American and the Oslo crowd is admittedly allergic to anything that is America. I think that The Nobel is in no way a measure of the quality of writing - it may be that is, in some case/ I don't think McCormac is worried. By the way Shakespeare is great. I did Shakespeare in school in Poland and now they also do Hemingway (The Old Man and the Sea).

7. Joy56 profile image61
    Joy56posted 6 years ago

I love Thomas Hardy, when you have the time to just savour ever word he writes.  Watching the films made from his work is a whole lot quicker, and just as good at times, especially

Far From The Maddening Crowd.

I love that book and film.

8. BKAONE profile image81
    BKAONEposted 6 years ago

I'm a huge David Foster Wallace fan, but can also shift gears and dive into Bukowski and DeLillo.

9. Bellamie profile image60
    Bellamieposted 6 years ago

catherine coulters fbi series.

10. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 6 years ago

"Those who don’t build must burn. It’s as old as history and juvenile delinquence." Who said that? Guess!
    I love his simplicity and precision. Real fantasy and fantastic imagination.

A tough one. Hm?

working