Has anyone read the Hunger Games? What did you think?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Laura Ginn profile image60
    Laura Ginnposted 12 years ago

I absolutely loved this book trilogy, so much so that I have also been ordering the books for my friends.  Has anyone else read them and if so what did you think?

1. shellyakins profile image68
      shellyakinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I read them all and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it!  I even gave them to my mom to read and she enjoyed them too.  I started reading them when the first one came out a few years ago then I had to wait and wait for the others to be written and published. So lucky all of you who waited and can read them one right after the other smile

2. Ebower profile image80
    Ebowerposted 12 years ago

I've only read the first one, because I was able to borrow it from my aunt.  I haven't made it to the library yet to read the sequels.  It was absolutely thrilling; I couldn't put it down!  The characters seemed believable in a story that is unreal.  It displays an array of various versions of humanity that it's impossible not to relate to some part of the story.  I would recommend it for teenagers or any age (except for children).  It was simply marvelous!

Laura Ginnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The first one is the best in my opinion but I definitely recommend reading the other two when you get the chance.  I, like you, couldn't put it down and I read all three books within two days.  I see they are making a film of the first book too which should be interesting...

3. profile image0
    will345davisposted 12 years ago

I read the first before the sequels came out. It was amazing. The wait for the sequels was excruciating. I've seen some screen shots from the film. It looks promising. The only thing I've found that I didn't like is that Peeta and Gale looked too clean. Thay didn't look as hard up as the book portrays them.

Yeah I know what you mean about the screen shots.  Films hardly ever are as good as the books - the only exception in my eyes is the LOTR trilogy although many would disagree with me there.  Still it will be interesting to see how it is interpreted for the big screen!

4. emichael profile image60
    emichaelposted 12 years ago

I read the trilogy and loved them all. I agree, the first one is the best. I found myself torn between Peeta and Gale though. I won't say much more since you haven't read the others yet smile

I'm with Gale all the way smile

1. emichael profile image60
        emichaelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess because I got to know Peeta's character better, I ended up rooting for him. But yeah, these books were glued to my fingers until I finished. Very well done.

2. Eve Foss profile image70
      Eve Fossposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I loved, loved, loved all three of the books! I cannot wait for the movie to come out. I hope it does them justice and does not deviate too far from the books.

I hope so. They cast Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. That should be interesting...

Yeah :-s  I loved Cinna in the books - I hope he lives up the view I have of him in my head lol.

5. profile image0

I have to say that casting Woody Harrelson as Haymitch was genius. After Zombieland and his amazing role in A Scanner Darkly, I think he'd be an awesome addition as the drunken mentor

Nice, I hadn't heard that. I loved him in Zombieland.

1. profile image0
        will345davisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Elizabeth Banks is playing Effie Trinket. The cast is a good one. The movie looks promising. Plus, they've been doing much better with book/movie transitions lately.

Oh very nice, that will be a solid cast. The only thing I'm uncertain of is the director...

6. Artistic Life profile image55
    Artistic Lifeposted 12 years ago

I just started reading this book this morning and I'm already hooked!  Lots of people have been recommending it to me.  I'll let you know what I think when I finish it!

7. Recipe Gal profile image63
    Recipe Galposted 12 years ago

I've read all three books, and I absolutely loved them!  I couldn't put them down!  I would reccomend them to anyone looking for a good, quick read! 

I'm also super excited about the movie!  Does anyone know when it is scheduled to come out?

March 23rd of next year. In other words NOT SOON ENOUGH!

8. profile image0

I'm hoping that the time will go fast. I'm thinking about starting the series over again to hold me off. Without release dates on the books to hold me back though, I think it'll only manage to kill about a week or so. Not nearly enough

I was thinking of rereading them too. But I agree, it would only kill about a week.

9. emichael profile image60
    emichaelposted 12 years ago
  10. Amber Colleen profile image60
    Amber Colleenposted 12 years ago

Wahh! I want the other two in the series! I read the first one in like two days and I am looking forward to the movie coming out.

11. MichelleA2011 profile image60
    MichelleA2011posted 12 years ago

The Hunger Games was recommended to me by a colleague from another school and it just so happened to be a part of our school's book fair the next day - so of course I had to have it - and I am so glad she told me about it. Although it was a little hard to get into in the very beginning, I quickly couldn't put it down. I read the other two in quick succession. I wasn't too happy with Catching Fire in the beginning as it took half the book to really get started and I was starting to get annoyed by Katniss' lack of emotion and her pure indecision and lack of confidence. She lost the strength and drive of the first novel and I really just wanted her to get over herself already. Mockingjay was better than the second, with twists and turns I hadn't expected at times.

I am looking forward to the movie in March - I'd love to see how they bring the world of Panem and the Hunger Games to life.

12. Painted Seahorse profile image90
    Painted Seahorseposted 12 years ago

My sister, mother, and I devoured the books! I am truly excited about the movie. Jennifer Lawrence was a great choice; for a newcomer she's already shined in films like Winter's Bone and X-Men: First Class. Josh Hutcherson (Peeta) is another favorite.

13. profile image0
    juliafranceschiniposted 12 years ago

I read the first one because my cousin enjoyed it so much. The first book is a solid read, Collins does a good job of creating suspense. Yet the second two books of the trilogy were a let down. Maybe I'm a little older than the YA demographic, but I just didn't get much out of them. I thought the ending was especially cheesy and unneeded. Yet, even though I thought the second two books were not good, I did read them in two days--so Collins has something going for her.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)