jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

If it's an option, do you prefer to read a trilogy straight through or read oth

1. thebiologyofleah profile image91
    thebiologyofleahposted 6 years ago

If it's an option,  do you prefer to read a trilogy straight through or read other books in between?

Trilogies, series, or books by the same author- do you prefer to wait until they are all published and read them back to back or take a break in between and read something by another author and/or in a different genre?

2. Alexander Pease profile image61
    Alexander Peaseposted 6 years ago

I prefer to read a trilogy straight-through if the entire series is available.

If the series isn't completely published, then I usually read other books in-between.

If needed, I will re-read a book in a series if the next book takes unusually long to publish.

3. mkeith profile image59
    mkeithposted 6 years ago

It all depends on the story.  I usually try to switch authors after every book, but there have been a few instances where the story demanded my devotion.  But this can also be a litmus test as to which authors write a truely compelling story.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Straight through. If you just take a break, you will have to go and reread the books to remember everything that you know now. The words are fresh in your mind. Your brain is set into the written words already. Unless the series is horrible, it will be read through from start to finish.

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image97
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 6 years ago

I'd rather read it straight through - if it holds my interest, I will get on a roll and it's very hard to keep the momentum if there's a break of several months (or even years).

6. LisaKoski profile image96
    LisaKoskiposted 6 years ago

Depends on how new the series is. If it's still not all published then I'll still read it and wait for the next part, reading another book or two while I wait. Otherwise, I read them straight through if they're all already out and don't usually read anything else in between.

7. archgirl1985 profile image81
    archgirl1985posted 6 years ago

I prefer to read them straight through as long as their all available. Unless I don't like it, cause that most certianly makes a difference. But I also read other books while I'm reading them. I read a few books at once because of how fast I read.

8. hush4444 profile image71
    hush4444posted 6 years ago

If a series is really good, I can't wait until they're all published.  I'll read them as soon as I can get a copy.  I do have to go back and re-read the previous books to remember what was happening.  I read the Stieg Larsson books back to back and then missed Sweden so much I started reading Henning Mankell's Wallander books.

9. maggs224 profile image84
    maggs224posted 6 years ago

If I have a choice I would much rather wait until I have them all so that I can read them one after the other. Though when I really enjoy a good book I dread coming to the end of the story it is like having to say goodbye to a friend.

10. thebiologyofleah profile image91
    thebiologyofleahposted 6 years ago

Interesting answers! I personally like to take a break between a series for a number of reasons. For one I read the first three Harry Potter books back to back and I had trouble moving on to anything else after them because I just wanted more Hogwarts.  Since then I try to at least read one other book in between two books in a series so my mind doesn't get so one-tracked.  Also I like to read something different in between because for me it builds up suspense. I did that for Larsson's Girl with the series and I am currently doing it for the Hunger Games series (I have the last one left). I'm worried I'll rush through otherwise if I read them back-to-back just to see what happens. But I agree that if you wait too long you need to re-read the previous installment(s).

11. Stevethepainter profile image59
    Stevethepainterposted 6 years ago

If I happen upon a trilogy before the last book has been written, well then I guess I would HAVE to read something else between installments.  If the story is compelling enough, or the time between books is long enouh, I'll re-read the earlier books just before i pick up the latest one, just to stay fresh on the story.

Stephen King's Dark Tower series was an example of this; I re-read the earlier books many times before the last book was published.

Generally speaking I prefer to sit thru a series from beginning to end, driving my family and friends crazy as i wander thru my days with the current book in hand, in my lunchbox, reading during breaks in the day, and falling asleep at night with my nose pinched between the pages!

12. climmons profile image57
    climmonsposted 6 years ago

I would read the trilogy without interruption.  Easy to do if it's interesting.

13. petenali profile image85
    petenaliposted 6 years ago

Straight through, without stopping to eat, sleep or breathe...

working