Dryer won't run: Do It Yourself Dryer Repair Advanced Inside that dryer: Thermal Fuse
General Encouragement For the DIY
Sometimes a job like this one and others seems daunting especially to people with low mechanical aptitude and those who are scared. I don't blame you, it is hard to roll up your sleeves and get into a job like this the first time.
Here are some suggestions to help you make that first try easier and more successful.
- Collect together the proper simple tools. See my hub on the tools needed.
- Follow the common easy safety precautions.
- Make sure you have time, and space to perform your work.
- Work slowly, this is not a speed test.
- Keep the hub directions handy so that you can refer back to them.
- Leave questions if you need help.
- If you have a friend who might want to do this with you, have them jump into the job with you.
Back Panel and Fuse Whirlpool Product
Test and Replace the Thermal Fuse
The thermal fuse is located on the blower housing on the back of the dryer. To access it, you must remove the back panel.
You need to gain access to the inside of the dryer. For a Whirlpool product: Lay the dryer on its face, using a blanket, towel, rug to protect the surface of the machine. Remove the nuts that hold the back on, these will be 5/16 or ¼ nuts. Remove the back.
A fuse is the most common safety device causing the dryer to stop. The fuse is normally located on the blower housing and is a non-resettable switch. Unfortunately, the fuse use and location varies by manufacturer. On a Whirlpool product check for a plastic disk or strip that is attached to the housing near the thermostats. It usually is made of white plastic and has a black strip and in held in place with one or two small screws. It will have two wires attached to it. This is a simple on/off switch that is not resettable. That means that if it shuts the dryer off, it must be replaced before the dryer can be operated again
Test the strip for continuity. If it is bad the continuity test will show no continuity. The dryer won't start.
- You've detected a bad fuse, replace it. Replace the back cover, plug the dryer in, set the timer for 30 minutes it should operate normally.
- Laugh! You just saved yourself at least $80 and you are a genius.
- Electric Dryer Won't Run: 5 Easy things you could fix without a repairman.
Follow all safety precautions. It is important that the dryer has the power on. It might seems ridiculous to you, but I can't tell you how many times I went on a service call to repair a dryer and the...
- How to use a multi meter or Volt Ohm Meter (VOM) to easy Do It Yourself Repair
What is the difference between resistance and continuity? Resistance is, in nontechnical terms anything that prevents the free flow of electricity through a device, wire, switch, splice, etc. For an...
- Pepperoncini Pot Roast Recipe
It is important for some foods to be cooked at low temperatures for a long period of time. That is how this one works. Cooking at a low temperature for 8 hours is ideal for infusion of flavors and to make...
- How to get free software legally?
This is one of my biggest pet peeves, free software downloads. The reason: the software is not free. You have to pay for it. It can be offered as 'Free' because it has a free trial period. This one...