- Kitchen Electronics
How to make sandwich toast?
I bought my Sandwich Toaster about a year ago, and started making Sandwich toast straight away. I never preheat the Toaster. The bread I used for Sandwich toast seemed always larger than toaster plate, so it overlap the edges of the toasting plate. I closed the toaster lid firmly and forced the lid down, and then I forced the catch click into place to lock the toaster. The catch click was broken long ago. Yesterday, the Toaster stopped working altogether, finished its destined life span so much early. I felt sorry for it. Before I disposed of the Sandwich Toaster, I found the User guide and started to read. I never used my toaster properly!
Preheating the toaster
To operate the sandwich toaster, first, plug the appliance into a wall electrical socket close the lid of the sandwich toaster.
Switch on the power, and after about 3 minutes the correct operating temperature has been reached, and the toaster is now ready for use. This operation must always be performed before you begin the toasting process.
Using the toaster
- Cut slices of bread of sufficient size, so they do not overlap the edges of the toasting plates.
- For golden toasted sandwiches, lightly buttering the outside of the bread, i.e., the filling is placed between the plain sides of the bread.
- If you wish to butter the insides of the bread in the normal way, you may find that after toasting a number of sandwiches, the indents (scallops) in the toaster plates may need to be re-oiled with margarine, butter or cooking oil.
- Prepare one or two sandwiches, place them on the lower toasting plate and gently but firmly close the lid until you feel the catch click into place. Do not force the lid down.
- Allow the sandwich to toast for approximately two minutes.
- When the sandwiches are toasted, open the appliance handles and remove the sandwiches.
Toasting time will be a matter of taste. Your sandwich toaster will toast both sides of the sandwiches at once and will seal in the flavour. In most cases the sandwich will be cut in half, by the built-in cutter, or will require gentle pressure with a knife to separate them. With 'hard' fillings, stringy bread, or very thick sandwiches, you may have to cut them apart.
While the scallops are coated with non stick coating, some fillings may melt and cuase the sandwiches to adhere to the scallops. to free the sandwiches, use a heatproof plastic or wooden spatula.
Never use a sharp object such as a knife or steel spatula. This will damage the non-stick coating.
Getting the best from your toaster
- always preheat your sandwich toaster.
- Always butter the outsides of the bread slices.
- Use of natural hard cheeses, such as Cheddar. Avoid using processed cheeses as they tend to "run" under high temperatures.
- A small amount of sugar sprinkled on the buttered sides makes the toasted sandwiches crispier.
After using the sandwich toaster
- Switch off the unit at the power outlet.
- Wipe the scallop and cutters with a clean absorbent cloth, or a length of kitchen roll.
- Wipe with a soft cloth which has been rinsed almost dry in warm soapy water, and dry with a soft cloth.
- Do not use abrasive chemicals steel wool, scouring pads or abrasive pads on either the inside or outside of the sandwich toaster.
Some sandwich fillings
Use brown, whole wheat, white or rye bread suitable to the size of the Sandwich toaster.
Butter one side of the bread only with a thin layer of butter or spread.
The fillings below are sufficient for 4-6 sandwiches
Cheese, Tomato and Onion
250 ml grated cheese.
1 large tomato, chopped and drained.
1 onion, chopped and lightly fried.
Salt, pepper and oregano to taste.
Mix all together.
Cheese and Asparagus
250ml grated Cheddar
250 ml asparagus chopped and drained
Mix all together.
Ideal for breakfast or picnics
Bacon and egg sandwiches
250 rindless bacon, fried crisp and crumbled.
4-6 eggs, scrambled and lightly cooked.
Sliced tomato (optional).
Mix scrambled egg, bacon and salt and pepper, and sliced tomato to sandwich if required.
Ham/Salami and Egg
150g Ham or Salami, cut in strips.
4-6 eggs, scrambled and light cooked.
Mix all together.